Sony EX, FS5/FS7 & Related Forum
Matching an FS-5 to a FS-5 MII? Which one to buy?
Matching an FS-5 to a FS-5 MII? Which one to buy?
by Stacy Formby on Jul 6, 2018 at 8:18:18 pm

So this new upgrade has come at a bad time, personally.

We have an FS5 and were just about to pull the trigger on a second FS5, so we'd have two.

Now, not sure what to buy. The new one is actually cheaper than the old one right now with the rebate.

But I need these two cameras to match.

I could get the new one and hope to tweak the color settings to get them close. OR I could just buy another first gen FS5.

Any ideas? What would you do?

Re: Matching an FS-5 to a FS-5 MII? Which one to buy?
by Blaise Douros on Jul 6, 2018 at 9:33:43 pm

If you're willing to either (a) spend some time up front to create some presets for each camera that help them match, or (b) spend a little time in post, I don't see a reason not to get the II. It's never been easier, whether in Resolve or Premiere, to match footage from two cameras, especially with a color checker slate.

by andy lewis on Jul 9, 2018 at 7:02:35 am

I was under the impression that the Mk 2 has a picture profile modelled on the Sony Venice but that all of the other picture profiles are identical to the Mk 1.

by Blaise Douros on Jul 9, 2018 at 3:25:40 pm

Picture profiles are all well and good, but any two cameras, even two of the same model, will have very slight differences. A new sensor will inevitably have minor color differences from the previous one. But again--it's never been easier to color-match.

by Stacy Formby on Jul 9, 2018 at 5:15:50 pm

I'm going to go for the MII then. I agree, it's probably no biggie over all.

© CreativeCOW.net