Blackmagic Design Forum
Intensity Shuttle on a laptop
Intensity Shuttle on a laptop
by Danny Hays on Aug 23, 2013 at 7:42:14 pm

I've had a shuttle for a while nnow, built a p58 chipset desktop to accomidate. It would capture 1080 motion jpeg fine without frame drops. I now have a few Sony Vaio VPCF2390X laptops.Installed desktop installer 7.9.4 Media express 2.3 and it works with motion jpeg, but drops a frame every once in a while. I recently installed a sandisc ssd and it now captures mjpg, 8 and 10 bit uncompressed avi without any frame drops. Plays all back perfectly too. Has anyone else able to to do this with a laptop? By the way, the new Shuttle software 9.7.7 doesn't work on it. No preview and only 8 bit and dpx as format type to choose from.

Re: Intensity Shuttle on a laptop
by EricBowen on Aug 27, 2013 at 3:40:44 pm

Yes with SSD's you can capture and playback uncompressed on laptops. The CPU load is low for uncompressed but the disk load is high. I noticed the same thing regarding the 9.7.7 Media Express. I have been meaning to contact Blackmagic to see if that will remain the options.

Eric-ADK
Tech Manager

by Joe Brown on Sep 24, 2013 at 7:48:25 am

I too have a VPCF2390X, but am experiencing periodic flickering approximately every 60 seconds capturing via HDMI (tried both 720p and 1080i) with the Intensity Shuttle. I beg of you, can you please tell me what driver and firmware versions you have installed on your 720200a NEC/Renesas USB controller residing on your VPCF2390X laptop? Also, are you running the stock Sony bloat install, or a fresh install (I'm running a fresh install, and am tearing out my hair).

EDIT [SOLVED]: wifi network auto-scan performed by Atheros internal wifi adapter was responsible for the flickering. Disabling the adapter resolves the flickers.

Many thanks,
-Joe

by Danny Hays on Oct 15, 2013 at 11:34:01 pm

Sorry to take so long Joe. I did a fresh install of W7 64 bit. Ultimate. I did some capturing from an HDMI source with it, no that long though. Let me know how it goes with you. Danny Hays

by Joe Brown on Oct 16, 2013 at 4:54:53 am

The only real difference I can see is I'm running Win 7 Home Premium. No flickers for you, then? My install is almost two years old, but it's part of a multi-boot system that only gets used when I'm doing video production, so I can still count the total OS uptime in hours.

As I said, I figured out my issue in any case (and have since found modified wifi drivers that allow me to disable the auto-scan). Maybe you just have laptops from a different production run that didn't have the issues I experience, even though we technically have the same model.

Thanks for your kind reply,
-Jon

by Danny Hays on Oct 16, 2013 at 6:51:08 pm

Do you have your wifi switch turned off? Are you using desktop installer 7.9.4 Media express 2.3? My laptop will even do it on just the battery.

by Joe Brown on Oct 17, 2013 at 12:18:56 am

I tried multiple versions of the Blackmagic software, all with the same result (although the newest version crashed all the time). I guess I'm glad to hear that this problem does not exist on all VPCF2390X laptops. I wonder if ours differ in some critical available option, which allows yours to work fine while mine experiences disruptions.

I didn't try turning off the wifi via the switch - I have to assume doing so would also stop the flickers, but I prefer using the modified drivers that disable the disruptive wifi scan.

Thanks again,
-Jon

© CreativeCOW.net