FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time Code Fiasco

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruce botts
Time Code Fiasco
on Oct 2, 2008 at 2:41:14 pm

I'm running Media 100i and working with betasp format.So I digitize at low res to save disc space, then I go back to re-dig at a higher quality what the client wants and the time code is off by a couple of minutes! What th..? What did I do? Any help?
bruce

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Time Code Fiasco
on Oct 2, 2008 at 2:43:50 pm

[bruce botts] "So I dig at low res to save disc space, then I go back to re-dig at a higher quality what the client wants and the time code is off by a couple of minutes! What th..? What did I do? Any help? "

Are you speaking about a Media 100 i or Media 100 HD system? Since you have posted in the Media 100 844/X forum, which does not have a low-res mode. In Media 100, you most likely have digitized your offline footage across a timecode break on your tape. Media 100 is not really good at detecting TC breaks, which can cause your reacquire problems. You definitely have to make sure that your initial digitized clips are okay before starting editing.

Return to posts index

Wickham Strub
on Oct 2, 2008 at 3:50:30 pm

Hi Bruce,

To expand on what Floh said, it is also entirely possible that you have no timecode breaks at all and you still got the wrong timecode on your original low-res digitize. It didn't happen a lot (it only happened to me personally one time in 6 years using M100i) but there were times when this would happen.

The problem is that if you don't notice the numbers are wrong then off you go merrily on your way editing the pictures. Then, when you re-digitize, the system is effectively editing the numbers. THIS time, it gets the timecode "right" which doesn't match the "wrong" timecode from your original clips. It's ugly, there's no denying it.

Is it really off my MINUTES? That's rough. Is it the same differential throughout (all clips exactly the same number off) or does it grow over time? If they're all the same number off, you COULD export an EDL (I'd recommend CMX-3600), massage the numbers, then bring it back in and redig. If you did this with big enough handles, you may have to do some minimal Slip and Slide editing to get it back into shape. Also, as always with EDL's, not all elements of a "finished" timeline will always translate well.

Of course, the above workaround can also become pretty daunting depending on the length and/or complexity of the timeline.

Let us know how it ends up either way.

~Wick

Return to posts index

bruce botts
on Oct 2, 2008 at 4:50:53 pm

the differential is apparently random. I'm going to have to go back and start over on certain sections. Thanks for the help!
Bruce

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]