FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ram Upgrade???

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Morgan
Ram Upgrade???
on Jul 6, 2008 at 1:07:57 am

As is typical with me nothing is ever simple... I am trying to upgrade the ram in my xw8000 to 2 gig but the machine will not boot with it. My machine came with only 512 mb and the media 100844x peripherals guide said the minimum should be 1gig. I have purchased 2 1gig PC2700 ECC & Reg. DDR's but the system will not boot with it. I reinstalled the origional 512 and it comes up as usual. I have added the new memory to the origional and tried to use just the new memorybut it only works with the new memory. We are suspecting something in the Bios that restricts the memory to 512. Has anyone ever seen this??

I have seen Final Cut work and the 844x still seems to work better and faster for what I do. I am trying not to give up yet. Thanks, Jack

jmorgan
DeadLine Productions
Houston, Texas

Return to posts index

Jack Morgan
Re: Ram Upgrade-any thoughts? Anyone???
on Jul 8, 2008 at 5:07:09 pm

In case anyone is still out there I was able to upgrade the ram but only after flashing the bios to the next available upgrade so the higher memory would be accepted. I am still having timeline performance issues but mainly when I place a comp over an existing clip or two.

I notice video media seems to be highly fragmented as it is placed on the array. I am defragging at least twice a day. I replaced a drive in the array a couple weeks ago with one from Micro Center that Rorke said would work. It does seem to work as advertised. It shows up as a healthy drive. I am basicly replacing one part at a time to try to get this thing humming again. Next will be a new scsi card, I guess.... Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

jmorgan
DeadLine Productions
Houston, Texas

Return to posts index

Joe Valdez
on Aug 23, 2008 at 2:56:45 pm

Hey there Jack. I had also tried upgrading the ram on my cpu. It is also an HP xw8000. right now am running 1gb of ram. Was hoping to get it up to 2 gb but for whatever reason, when I tried booting, the computer would not let me. (I purchased 4 x 512mb sticks. Have 2 currently in the system, other two just sitting here.) My idea was to have the 4, running the system at 2gb, and possibly add two of my older sticks which are 256mb.) Anyways, it doesn't allow me to boot if I try adding anything other than the first two banks of ram. Can you help with the flashing of the bios? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jack Morgan
on Aug 23, 2008 at 7:04:33 pm

Hi Joe, I was able to flash (upgrade)the bios by going to the HP site and entering my pc model number and searching for the upgrade. My tech said you could call him if you get stuck and he would help talk you through it. If you want his ## email me at jack@deadlineproductions.net . Jack

jmorgan
DeadLine Productions
Houston, Texas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]