FORUMS: list search recent posts

Percieved timecode breaks

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Morgan
Percieved timecode breaks
on Jun 7, 2008 at 5:48:23 pm

I quite often get a "Received Timecode break" indication in the bottom left screen when digitizing 24p (23.98Psf, Pull down out) downconverted footage from my HDW-1800 deck. That is not usually a problem but sometimes my digitize will abort with a "Vlan search error" when the deck can't find the right timecode to preroll to. I am guessing the problem has to do with the footage being 24p but and the 844 being geared for 30 frames. I have the prefs set to ignore timecode breaks. Anyone out there who has thoughts on this? (Floh?) Anything I can do? Or is this something I have to live with til I go Final Cut? Thanks, Jack

jmorgan
DeadLine Productions
Houston, Texas

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
Re: Received timecode breaks
on Jun 9, 2008 at 5:26:05 am

Hi Jack,

The big problem with Ignoring Timecode Breaks is that you'll create "fragile media", which means that you won't be able to re-acquire at a later date. The VLAN search error generally occurs at a timecode break, where you don't have enough pre-roll, so it scrubs back and forth around the area but never finds the start frame (as it doesn't exist).

You could try reducing the preroll in the preferences, but this may affect the accuracy of the acquire as the deck may not have time enough to get to speed.

I've run stuff through with Ignore TC Breaks many times, but just be aware of the re-aquire issue.

Good luck,
Ben

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

Jack Morgan
Re: Received timecode breaks
on Jun 9, 2008 at 2:42:17 pm

Hi Ben, Thanks for your input... I have played with the preroll but it makes no difference... I am digitizing from HD cam tapes that I shot myself and I have checked them and there are no time code breaks visible so I am at a loss... and you are right about the "fraigle" clip. I do have problems re-digitizing some clips in batch because of the search error or just a "bad media" popping up in the batch que. Jack

jmorgan
DeadLine Productions
Houston, Texas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]