FORUMS: list search recent posts

Progressive media

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bodgetastic
Progressive media
on Jul 24, 2007 at 9:22:59 am

Hi guys,

My company's producing some short drama and it looks like finishing on 844 is our only option to get the work done in time.

I've identified a workflow to do this - everythings in about 5min chunks so we're going to play it down an SDI cable from the cutting suite then pass an EDL through to show where the cuts need to be re-inserted.

My question is, we're shooting on progressive digi and (as far as I know) 844 only does interlaced media.
However, SD on an SDI cable always has two fields right, since progressive and interlaced are compatible on a wire? Surely a 'progressive' signal just has both fields identical to half of the progressive frame? So in that case I shouldn't lose any vertical res by going through 844?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Progressive media
by
on Jul 24, 2007 at 9:32:39 am

[bodgetastic] "My question is, we're shooting on progressive digi and (as far as I know) 844 only does interlaced media.
"

844/X does deinterlace its material internally all the time, and works with 50/60 full frames per second for effects processing. Additionally, what comes over SDI is not really relevant to interlace/progressive. So you are right that you can acquire SDI progressive signals with 844/X without any loss of resolution.
If you want to do effects work you should set your deinterlacer for your source clips to "Still Reconstruction", since this will interpret the footage as progressive. So even if you e.g. scale up your clips you should be fine. The only thing 844/X cannot do is to render in progressive. So e.g. dissolves or DVE effects with keyframes will always render interlaced/with fields, which maybe is not ideal for your situations. Anything else should work as expected.

Return to posts index

bodgetastic
Re: Progressive media
on Jul 25, 2007 at 10:09:52 am

Thanks a lot for this - really useful information. And it's good to find that we've still got good projects to put onto the old machine!

When you say 'render' I assume that you mean anything involving 'processing' onto disk, as opposed to real-time fx, so I can do XBlur and Color Correction at 50P and alpha-blend two channels (yes it's only the two channel version - dammit!) in this way too. Presumably if I were to use Change Color as a secondary that will cause me to render and thereby become interlaced?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]