FORUMS: list search recent posts

From G5 to switch to Xserve.

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin
From G5 to switch to Xserve.
on Apr 6, 2007 at 9:47:02 pm

This has been answered in different ways but wanted to get a certain answer or definite options. I'm not a network support guy but have sort of become one through this process, and our official network guy knows little about MACS. So the situation is simple. We have a G5 and it needs to go to the XSERVE. A switch with Qlogic was purchased because we wanted to use 2 G5 to the same xserve. There wasn't enough research done unfortunately but we bought ATTO HBA's to put into the G5. But we don't have any HBA managers such as XSAN or Fiberjet yet because our network guy is convinced we don't need one and XSAN was too expensive and the boss was wanting to keep the price down. I keep telling everyone we need some sort of software to manage the data flow. Well naturally we got corrupted data and wanted to try just a straight shot from only one G5 to the xserve but we have to use the switch now or else we have to spend $2k more for the cable adapter from LC to HDSS2(sp?) cable. We have the 'switch manager' software from Qlogic on a pc and the switch obviously connected via ethernet to that pc. So the question is, if we put a fiber card in the pc that currently has the switch manager and hook that up to the switch along with just ONE G5 and the Xserve, will there be any communication problems and data corruption? Does there absolutely need to be some HBA manager software to tell it where to go? Also, since the switch is hooked up to a pc and if we bought software for the pc that manages the data, will there be cross-platform issues such as the drives being formatted to NFS/HFS+? Does the Xserve need to be formatted specifically either way? My guess is that the HBA software takes care of this but our network guy is trying to find solutions without it for some reason. The PC that the software will be on is Windows 2000 btw.

Thx for reading through the blabber and any information given. Me and another editor has done some research when available and keep coming up with needing some manager. I just needed some answers as to whether it is an absolute need for it to work properly or if there's a work around like what that the network guy is trying to find.

Thx again.

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: From G5 to switch to Xserve.
by
on Apr 7, 2007 at 9:23:31 am

Okay, let

Return to posts index

Justin
on Apr 9, 2007 at 5:32:59 pm

Thx again for your expertise Floh. And I blindly put this up here. I meant to put it in the regular media100HD forum, since that's what we mainly need this for. Sorry. But since i have your attention here, mind if i continue to bother you? heh.

Yes it is an XServe Raid. I figured as much with what you said about needing the software. I currently have the Raid setup as raid50. One of my questions, however, was if we just use ONE computer to the xserve raid, we need to use the switch due to the cabling connection we currently have and wanted to know if there will be corruption with just a simple through-put if you will without it needing any software to tell the data where to go since it's just one computer, one switch, and one xserve as a one volume.

The fiberjet would be good to have, but our editors may have to digitize at the same time. Plus i've heard it's not recommended to keep the controllers seperate and that we should stripe across all the drives if we are to digitize HD footage.

again thanks for your awesome help and i apologize for keeping the posts here.
Thx.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Apr 9, 2007 at 9:07:25 pm

[Justin] " I currently have the Raid setup as raid50. One of my questions, however, was if we just use ONE computer to the xserve raid, we need to use the switch due to the cabling connection we currently have and wanted to know if there will be corruption with just a simple through-put if you will without it needing any software to tell the data where to go since it's just one computer, one switch, and one xserve as a one volume. "

With only one computer you will be fine.

[Justin] "The fiberjet would be good to have, but our editors may have to digitize at the same time. Plus i've heard it's not recommended to keep the controllers seperate and that we should stripe across all the drives if we are to digitize HD footage."

You cannot digitize 2 streams of uncompressed HD to an XServe RAID anyway. It does not have the performance/throughput for this. If you want to do HD uncompressed you need to stripe as RAID 50, as you did. This way you usually will get only one large partition, so FibreJet is not that good for this setup. But you e.g. could get CommandSofts StorDirector, which allows you to partition RAID 50 volumes. But still you will not get enough performance to handle 2 systems with uncompressed HD.
You would be fine for Uncompressed SD or compressed HD, tough.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]