FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding audio drive space

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin
Adding audio drive space
on Feb 8, 2007 at 11:23:17 pm

I'm in the need for more audio space and have read about problems with replacing the audio drives. Are there still problems with that? If not is there a brand of drives that will work the best? Is it possible to use an additional external drive via FW and not have playback issues?

We also have Media100 HD and wanted to know if it's better to have a seperate audio drive for that as well or if we're able to use our XServe for both video and audio media. Thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

willisub
Re: Adding audio drive space
on Feb 10, 2007 at 3:06:59 am

Get a 10k UL320 SCSI drive. 72GB is solid, but others should work if you need more or less space. Seagates (5 year warranty) have always been my choice. If you are replacing the old audio drive, just jumper the new drive to the same SCSI ID as the other and relace it. Make sure you check to see if that drive is supplying term power to the scsi bus. If so, do the same with the new drive. It's usually a jumper on the bottom of the drive. Sometimes labeled tp. If you are keeping the old audio drive, put the new one on the same line,ie scsi cable. Make sure you jumper the id to something that is free on that line. Also make sure the terminator is after the last drive on that line.

Google the drive model number if you need to see the jumper layout for scsi id and term power on either drive. If your lucky, the info will be on the drive label.

There's more, but in simple terms, this should work. You don't want to go with an ide or sata drive. You can also use a 15k scsi drive if you want to splurge, but it shouldn't be necessary.

I'm assuming that your audio drive is one of 1 or 2 drives on a separate scsi bus.

Have opinions, but really can't help you on the Apple san. Speed of drives, number of drives, and speed of fiber and/or connections factor in there.

good luck....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]