FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 to 844?

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Morgan
P2 to 844?
on Sep 29, 2006 at 3:47:20 pm

I was thinking about using a Panasonic vx200 P2 camera this weekend to shoot some archive footage for our boatshow client. Does anyone know what ways would be available to get that footage into the 844? Or is this just a bad idea? Thanks, Jack

jmorgan
DeadLine Productions
Houston, Texas

Return to posts index

Martin Dust
Re: P2 to 844?
on Oct 8, 2006 at 4:04:40 pm

If the camera has firewire shouldn't have any problems at all, I don't know the camera so can't offer anymore help than that.

Return to posts index

HolyCowSeattle
on Oct 11, 2006 at 2:13:27 am

It depends on what you are doing.

Since the 844X is an SD-only system--you are losing the prime benefit of shooting the hvx-200. The HVX shines at the 720p resolution with its variable framerates. It does not shoot variable framerates at any resolution other than 720p. You will have to (obviously) down-rez the 720p acquired footage in some manner to get your footage into the 844x.

One way is to shoot to the p2 cards and then (in camera) transfer the footage from the P2 cards to DVtape.
(Then transfer the DVTAPE footage via firewire(DV25) to your system, or put the tape in a studio deck for playback.)
This allows you to shoot odd framerates (overcrank/undercrank, etc.) and then use the fooage in a 480i workflow. Obviously you lose some quality because you are transcoding to DV 4:1:1 from the DVCPRoHD 4:2:2 colorspace.

Another option is to acquire to P2, import to FCP (or other 3-rd party
windows-based capture/offload utility and downrez/export to the desired 844X codec.)

=========
We often transfer footage (usually multiple short clips with timecode attached) into an FCP timeline then export the footage into a single clip (without transcoding) and drop the single-clip footage directly into our After Effects 480i timeline. This gives us a lot of creativity to re-frame/ pan-n-scan, etc.

Clips out of FCP also drop nicely into the Media100HD timelines (uprez or downrez and conform to HD1080i or SD480i on import.) .

-P

Return to posts index

Jack Morgan
on Oct 16, 2006 at 6:11:24 pm

Thanks for the good info...... I went the FCP route. Jack

jmorgan
DeadLine Productions
Houston, Texas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved