FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED4 Update

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Griffiths
RED4 Update
on Sep 26, 2006 at 5:37:14 pm

So far, performing pretty much as advertised. RED4 is a very flexible tool that expands the creative capabilities of the 844/x in much the same way AE does but it happens inside the 844/x environment. AE users beware, though... RED is kinda the "anti-AE" in feel and approach. Some of your knowledge will transport over... some will not. RED will frustrate AE users until they get the hang of it. But as a former and present RED user, the effort has certainly been worth it. Too much to go into here but here's the website:
http://www.borisfx.com/products/red4/

Cool Stuff? The new filters Corner Pinning with Tracking, Optical Stabilizer, Color Match and Motion Key all look like winners. Basically, most if not all of the Continuum4 Filters set are here but they can only be accessed through RED... They are not available in the 844/x filter list. Believe me, I tried. ;-) Text generation, animation, extrution, etc., has always been a winner for me in RED (more below).

Not so cool? Well, for those of you (like me) hoping for an Inscriber replacement, don't get your hopes up. Basically, RED is a plug-in with no way it can been launched when you create a text clip. So, we are still stuck with Inscriber. (... and it has it's place for simple, real time font work.) That said, you can still create a black clip, apply the RED filter to it and have complete access to the RED text engine which opens up a ton of styles and presets that would give you fits trying to do in Inscriber. Also, the Paint system is still a bit flaky and unstable but that should get fixed soon. Of course, no OpenGL preview speed-up. Overall rendering is slooow (for those of us spoiled by the 844/x).

If you are a former RED user, the price is downright cheap for the upgrade at US$300.00.

All-in-all, a great add to the 844/x!

Thanks, Boris!

G r i f f
-----
R o b e r t G r i f f i t h s , D i r e c t o r
F i r e D a n c e r P r o d u c t i o n s , I n c.
C a r b o n d a l e * C o l o r a d o * U S A

http://www.FireDancer.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]