FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm new to The 844

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Little-Dude
I'm new to The 844
on Sep 26, 2006 at 5:03:24 pm

I'm not sure if this is cool to post this but here I go. I'm new to the 844 and have a lot of questions. If you can answer them great if not thanks anyway.

I'm an Avid guy so if I can help anyone on any Avid questions I will.

questions:
1. Is there an auto key frame button somewhere in the matte tool? It looks like when I add points I have to click on each point individually if I want to animate a matte. This is good and bad if there's no auto button.

2. So do we have to render or process everything in the timeline all at once? On an avid you can do what's called a mixdown or just render the top track, which saves time. On DS you can do a minimal render or complete, I'm looking to do a minimal render on 844, does it exsist?

3. Black Burst generator? At the shop I'm coming into they don't have one. This may be the stupidist question on my list, but do I have to have one if I want to layback to VHS? DVCAM works and Beta has issues.

4. Can I match frame from the source side? Is there a find bin button? On avid you click find bin in the source side and it shows you the clip in the bin.

5. Adding Mattes to titles? can this be done? For example I would like to effect a title using Saphire glow but I want a shimmer to wipe through the test like a beam of light. This is a simple thing to do on Media composer and DS. Is 844 capable of adding more than one matte to a clip that are independant from each other?

6. When I match fram a time effect I get a black frame in the source, what's up with that?

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
DL

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: I'm new to The 844
by
on Sep 26, 2006 at 5:21:46 pm

Welcome to the club :-)
And of course it is cool to post here.
Some answers for your questions:
re 1: once you have created a keyframe for your mask points (you can add a keyframe for all mask points at once) it will "auto keyframe". As soon as you change a mask point somewhere it wil automatically create a new keyframe.

2: 844/X has something that is called ILA (intelligent layering architecture, I think). It "processes" 4 realtime tracks in a 1-pass realtime render, and creates a "render shelf". In the next step it will render this shelf with the next 3 layers upwards to a new shelf. Next pass again the shelf with the next 3 layers. Keep that in mind when creating timelines. If you create your timelines accordingly this will save you a lot of time. There is no way of doing a minimal render in 844/X, it simply has a different approach.

3: we don

Return to posts index

Little-Dude
on Sep 26, 2006 at 6:09:46 pm

Thanks for your great answers Floh.

Any ideas on how to fix the bug in Number 6? Would it be worth getting support from Media 100 for this?

DL

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Sep 26, 2006 at 6:22:14 pm

[Little-Dude] "Any ideas on how to fix the bug in Number 6? Would it be worth getting support from Media 100 for this?"

Wow, what a question...

probably you should have a look at the archives of this forum, but here is a short version: Media 100 got into financial problems, they were bought by Optibase, who promised to push money into a HD version of 844/X; Optibase got a new CEO who said that Media 100 was not a "core business" of Optibase and fired the whole 844/X team. Luckily Boris picked up the remaining Media 100 Mac uint (with the 844/X IP) and decided to stop 844/X development (since all 844/X engineers were gone anyway). There was extended hardware support from Boris or Optibase for 844/X, but no software updates will be done anymore. Latest version is 3.04, I think.

Return to posts index

Little-Dude
on Sep 26, 2006 at 6:38:01 pm

So what you're saying is. If there's a bug it's staying. Nice to know. Thanks I'll search for an answer in the archives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]