I've installed RED 4 into my HPxw8000 and it works as promised. Those of you familiar with RED will be thrilled. Those of you who aren't should take a look, it's great. 2 issues...
- No 844/x specific documentation. Not even a scrap. But, essentially, RED applies like any other filter. To create a text clip, just apply RED to a color clip. Works fine but I was hoping for a tighter integration to replace Inscriber. No such luck.
- Render time is sloooow. We are admittedly spoiled by the 844/x lack of render times so this is a disappointment.
To my knowledge, OpenGL is the key here. If I understand it correctly, RED thrives on OpenGL for render speeds. Unfortunately, most of us don't have OpenGL cards in our machines. So I am exploring a replacement for the present card (Nvidia Quadro NVS AGP8X) with a newer OpenGL card. I'm looking at the Nvidia Quadro FX 1100. 3 questions...
- Am I correct in assuming that an OpenGL card will significantly speed up RED rendering in the 844/x environment?
- Will the Nvidia card I'm looking at do the trick?
- Does anyone have any warnings or caveats before I set along this path?
G r i f f
R o b e r t G r i f f i t h s , D i r e c t o r
F i r e D a n c e r P r o d u c t i o n s , I n c.
C a r b o n d a l e * C o l o r a d o * U S A