FORUMS: list search recent posts

844/X Drive upgrade

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
edunwody
844/X Drive upgrade
on Jan 27, 2006 at 12:19:03 pm

Hi guys and gals,

Drive question. We have the same drives that we bought the system 2 years ago and we need more space. What are my options? Remove the drives we have and replace with larger capacity drive using the same tower? How much larger can I go? What will the system handle? We have been using our XServe raid for our HD system as archival storage but we are working on a 120min feature doc and we would like to finish out on 844/X.

How is everyone been? We have been so busy with all 4 of our systems we have not had time to breath. Having some CPU memory issues with our G5 M100 HD but have been using workarounds. Our XR

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner
Re: 844/X Drive upgrade
on Jan 27, 2006 at 2:26:29 pm

Hi Elliott,

Your options could be constrained, or made trickier at the very least, by the tower you've already got. Some arrays, even JBODs, have limits to the capacities they can hold. For example, if you loaded your 16 bay tower with 300GB drives, your old tower might baulk at 4.5TB in one pop. You'd then have to hope that the config tool will let you make groups of drives, then stripe those together.

Sorry I can't give specific makes and models to look at, but thought that you might like to add that thought into the mix.

Cheers,
Ben (Busy as hell on 844/Xs around the world!)

Curious Turtle Professional Video
Training | Editing |Support

http://www.curiousturtle.com

Return to posts index

john
by
on Jan 27, 2006 at 10:30:39 pm

hey elliot

i will check on the brand name from my re-seller but we recently needed to hold a tv program online on our existing drives beyond the planned date and then start up-rezing a new special on the Airbus 380.Of course it wouldnt all fit so we daisy chained a new drive on the back of original tower - it was bigger quieter and much smarter. worked a treat as a rental and the guys just unplugged it when we were done and reconfig'd the original tower.

dont know if that helps?

fwiw boris have announced the RED Beta for 844 if you hadnt seen it pop over to the blog

john
http://velocite.blogomat.com

Return to posts index

Al J. Marschke
on Jan 28, 2006 at 4:04:19 pm

Speaking of the dream machine. Is there anything comparable out there? Does Avid have a machine that has 4 real time video tracks with real-time blur?

Al J. Marschke
BluMars Media
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index

willisub
on Jan 31, 2006 at 2:36:02 am

I'm a small dealer in upstate NY. Lots of experience with all M100 systems.

Suggest some of the following.

1. Although a dual channel card can address more than the 5 each SCSI drives you probably have on each channel, the system never fully tested out with 10 drives on each channel.

2. You can replace your drives with larger ones, add another drive subsytem, but only have one cabled in at a time, or change over to a dual channel SATA subsytem that will just use 1 SCSI id on each channel and probably (never certified by M100) be ok.

I picked up a 2nd 844/XE (dealer demo system a while back) and it has 2 RAID INC UL160 ATA 8 drive arrays on it w/ older Hitachi 120GB drives on it. On my other 844/XE w/ XBlur w/ UL320 XW8000 systems, using ATTO's speed test, these drives get around 240 MB/sec. I have replaced one subsystem with 250GB drives and the speed tests were pretty much the same. It's faster than the original drive subsytems we put on the first 844/X systems and a touch slower than the newer UL320 10k by 10 drive UL320 SCSI subsystems we have been using.

Our demo files w/ XBlur used to burp once in a while with our older UL160 drives on programs with 8 tracks and using masks. The Raid Inc raid 5 never flinched. (I'm not in production so can't attest to what happens when drives get 85% full, but all systems have reduced rates in this per cent range anyway so these should be about the same)

The new SATA II SCSI subsystems are even faster yet. We have been looking at one that has a 5-8 drive raid controller for SATA's and the rate should be around 240 MB/sec on 1 ul320 SCSI channel and in the 400 + MB/Sec with dual boxes and striped as raid 0. These are Raid 5 units with just 5 drives each. Extra drives after this just add capacity, not speed as the 5 SATA II drives pretty much max out 1 UL320 SCSI channel. The 240 MB/sec and higher have come on MAC G4's and G5's. I expect the same on the 844/X when or if we get a chance to test.

Anyway, the point is you should consider adding SATA or the older ATA raid systems and get some protection on the data that's on your drives via RAid 5. You will get the speed, protection of raid 5, and reduced price on the megabyte or terabyte basis. You also have a pretty good chance of adding this on to one 10 bay SCSI subsytem and getting both to work as you will just be using 6 SCSI id's on each channel.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

If I can help with anything else, feel free to email me at willisub@aol.com

Return to posts index

john
by
on Jan 31, 2006 at 2:39:10 am

nice to hear from you willi

Return to posts index

edunwody
on Feb 8, 2006 at 10:50:07 am

Thank you. That was very helpful. We are just trying not to add something will cause problems. So far we are running well. We are just always completely full and trying to pull media off to room all of the time.

We are working on a 120 min Doc offlining on on of our M100 XR's and would like to finish out on the 844.

Elliott

Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]