masks

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd at UCSB
masks
on Dec 5, 2005 at 11:59:00 pm

Hi All,
It's a lonely place around here...
Anyway, I haven't had a lot of reasons to use the matte features...until now. I'm trying to blur out someones face (a la Cops), but not the rest of the picture. I've created a matte and I apply it to the video layer with fx blur, but nothing happens?

If anyone is still out there to give me a hand, that would be great.

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Jason Kalinoski
Re: masks
on Dec 6, 2005 at 4:37:57 pm

Hi Todd,

I'd duplicate the layer on V2, create the matte of the face on V2, then XBlur layer V2.

I hope I don't sound like a jerk saying this, but you mention you really haven't used the matte tool much...to me, the real time mattes are the core of the 844. I use them all the time for selective color correction, faking depth of field, matte/fill effects (fire in text) etc.

If you're not familiar with creative uses of mattes, I'd look into some compositing books or After Effects tutorials. Same principles, but we can do it in real time!!! Again, I hope I don't sound condescending, but I have the humble opinion that a lot of 844 owners don't really use the machine's strongest features (real time mattes, transfer modes, etc).

I do think the matte tool can be a little clunky (I make most of mine in Photoshop or Combustion).

Anyway, hope this helps...

Jason Kalinoski

Evolution Media, Inc.
Tallahassee, FL

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Dec 6, 2005 at 5:33:42 pm

HI Jason,
Thanks for the response, no offense taken.
I agree that the realtime mattes is one of the big features the makes 844 stand out.
BUt, like you, I do most of my matte work in Photoshop or AE. Usually in AE along with all of my compositing. Granted I could to 'some' of this compositing in 844x, but I use a lot of plug-ins, camera moves, etc. that 844x can't do.

I actually figure it out before the post anyway. You did miss a step though :)
YOu CAN'T blur the original video layer with the matte. It has to be pre-comp'd. Or at least that's I had to do it.

Thanks again for the response.

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 6, 2005 at 5:49:00 pm

[Todd at UCSB] "YOu CAN'T blur the original video layer with the matte. It has to be pre-comp'd. Or at least that's I had to do it."

You definitely can do that without precomposing. At least if you have XBlur (not 100% sure about the "software" blur, but I think it does that as well). We do it all the time with XBlur and Mattes.

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Dec 6, 2005 at 7:04:51 pm

Hi Floh,
Ops, my bad. Sorry Jason.
I'm also keying the layer. I can't key, matte, and blur with the result I want.
When I blur the keyed-matte layer, it drops the matte. So I have to precomp the key matte layer, then blur on the next program. I'm pretty sure I need to do it this way?
but if you have a better idea, please let me know.

BTW I have XBlur.

Thanks,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Dec 6, 2005 at 7:15:57 pm

[Todd at UCSB] "I'm also keying the layer. I can't key, matte, and blur with the result I want. "

That

Return to posts index

Jason Kalinoski
on Dec 6, 2005 at 8:54:05 pm

Cool Todd, I'm glad you figured it out. No mattes with keys huh,...I don't think I've run into that situation yet.

When I do, I'm sure I'll forget all about this problem and aimlessly beat my head against the wall trying to get it to work... :)

Jason

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Dec 11, 2005 at 5:56:31 am

Thanks again Jason,

Yes, this is kind-of unique. 'I think' is a psych experiment. So it's not something I'll run across too much. But it was an interesting challenge to see how to post it.

via va la 844x!!

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]