FORUMS: list search recent posts

playback problems

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TJohnson
playback problems
on Nov 7, 2005 at 2:37:44 pm

I've been using an 844x for a couple of years now and have recently encountered a new error that's driving me nuts.
When the timeline is in play, I loose audio playback and then play stops automatically and two little red ticks appear on the timeline (in the area where users marks go). It seems like its not able to pull either the audio or video off the hard disks fast enough. I've tried defragging and clearing the disks up a bit, but that hasn't helped. I figure it's a video issue because it plays fine with the video tracks off.
Any ideas?

Travis Johnson
Broad-Way, Srl
Milan, Italy

Return to posts index

Al J. Marschke
Re: playback problems
on Nov 7, 2005 at 7:17:15 pm

I was freelancing on an 844 system that had lots of playback errors and crashes. Turns out they had a dead drive and one that was dying in the same array. One drive dead you won't notice. But when the second one starts to go.... problems. You might want to check tech support for the hard drive company. Rorke was very helpful in solving that problem. The 844 system was less than two years old. Replaced the two bad drives and everything was working perfectly.

Good luck

Return to posts index

Chad Robinson
on Nov 8, 2005 at 1:49:42 pm

The dialogue box along the bottom of the 844 window will tell you what error is being generated. Look for the two arrows along the bottom row to scroll through the messages. Whenever playback is compromised, 844 automatically begins to shut down tracks--beginning with the lowest audio track first (audio playback warning). If the problem continues, it will stop playback (audio playback failure).

I find that running other programs that connect to the internet will cause audio playback warnings and failures. I stream a local radio station while I edit, but close the connection whenever playback is vital. Also, email programs that check the server or anti-virus programs that continually scan your work can cause problems with playback. I don't know if this helps since it seems to be a new problem that has suddenly cropped up, but at least it's a start.

Chad

Return to posts index

TJohnson
on Nov 8, 2005 at 4:34:55 pm

Actually, we recently hooked up a server and installed outlook on the system after years of no internet whatsoever. I'll try shutting it off. Thanks a million,

Travis Johnson
Broad Way, Srl
Milan, Italy

Return to posts index

Jack Morgan
on Nov 8, 2005 at 8:55:18 pm

This is weird!! I just logged on to report this very problem! I am getting stops also... I am getting the error message; "audio performance caused play to stop at time: 01:01:24:17" And I got this too.
"(-11210) Foundation performance "Audio" while playing or moving" Whats going on? I will pull the plug on my LAN to see if that does anything but that seems unlikely. Jack

jmorgan
DeadLine Productions
Houston, Texas

Return to posts index

Espen olsen
on Nov 9, 2005 at 7:49:44 am

Funny. I have recently encountered the same error after years of working with the 844/x.
I have found it to be a memory issue. I often leave After Effects running in the background. After I close AE, the problems go away.

Espen Olsen

Lyd & Bilde as
Oslo, Norway

Return to posts index

TJohnson
on Nov 9, 2005 at 9:17:38 am

So he's an update on the solutions that haven't worked for me: tried unplugging LAN, nothing; tried defragging and error-checking all disks, nothing; I never run other programs in the background so that can't be it; checked 844x hardware with Media 100 diagnostics, nothing; re-install 844x software, nothing. I'm starting to worry because the remaining options are pretty drastic, especially because we're in the middle of two projects. One of my co-workers has recommended re-installing Windows, but I REALLY don't want to do that right now...
Any more ideas out there?

Return to posts index

Espen olsen
on Nov 9, 2005 at 9:29:49 am

To check if one of your drives is turning sour; In the boot meny of the Compaq you have the possibility to press ctrl-s (I think) to access the utility menu for your Adaptec SCSI-card. Enter the meny and try verifying your individual SCSI units. Pay attention to the speed at which the individual drives verify. You dont need to run the complete test for each drive. If you notice that one drive is verifying slower than any other, this drive may be going bad. We had this occuring a year ago, and I just managed to save the data before the drive broke. I recreated the array using the remaining 9 drives while waiting for a replacement drive fom Seagate.

Worth checking.

Espen Olsen

Lyd & Bilde as
Oslo, Norway

Return to posts index

Douglas Wagner
on Nov 9, 2005 at 3:15:53 pm

I had this exact problem a few months back. It turned out to be the audio drive going bad. I ran all of the diagnostics for 844/X and Rorke Data video array and even reformatted the system hard drive, re-installed Windows XP and 844/X software leaving all other previously installed software off. The problem still continued. Finally I low-level formated the video and audio drives and the audio drive died completely during the format. I replaced the original 10K 36 GB Seagate Cheetah with a 15K 73 GB Seagate Cheetah and have never had another hiccup playing back any program or ever seen another of those dreaded Foundation Errors. I used to get them regularly with the 10K Cheetah, even when the system was new. I now have a stable system that rarely crashes.

VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System

Return to posts index

Elliott Dunwody
on Nov 9, 2005 at 10:12:06 pm

Do you have a virus checker like McAfee running

Elliott

Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

Jack Morgan
on Nov 10, 2005 at 1:42:49 am

..I closed Norton's auto protect. No difference. Also unplugged my LAN cable for eithernet and internet connection to no avail. I have defragged several times, both audio and video drives; usually helps but not this time. I am haveing a tech come in to check the drives and probably going to replace the audio drive, since that is where I am getting errors.. Thanks, Jack

Return to posts index

Scott Wyman
on Nov 10, 2005 at 5:55:33 pm

Hi folks!

Same thing is happening to my system as well, tried all of the above, including the recommendation to upgrade the audio drive, but for some reason my Compaq/844/X doesn't like to play with it nicely in the sandbox, so I returned to the original audio drive, and deal with the hiccups and foundation errors.

How did the install go for you? Any suggestions/advice as to why the larger capacity drive won't work?

Thanks a lot!

Scott

Scott Wyman
Senior Editor/Technical Director
CN8, The Comcast Network

Return to posts index

Tomo
by
on Nov 11, 2005 at 1:39:26 am

Hi fellow 844 users.
Just another thing to try.... Don't install iTunes!!! If you have...remove it. We are running 2 844/xe systems, and one day all of a sudden we were having performance issues. There are many people in the building hooked up to LAN and share their iTunes library... it's great however...
It turns out that the iTunes software is always looking for "Shared" music over the LAN...even when you have disconnected the cable...
we removed iTunes, and have not had any probs since. FWIW...

Cheers
Tomo

Tom Molnar
Senior Editor
Prophecy Post
South Australia
61 419 144 870
tom@prophecypost.com.au

Return to posts index

TJohnson
on Nov 11, 2005 at 2:13:49 pm

I think I've gotten this thing figured out. I disinstalled my anti-virus, iTunes, Outlook, unplugged the LAN, reinstalled Quicktime (without iTunes), 844x and After Effects (which was crashing on me). And it seems like everything's up and running...
Thanks for all the help!

Travis Johnson
Broad-Way Srl
Milan, Italy

Return to posts index

Jack Morgan
on Dec 28, 2005 at 6:03:59 pm

Latest update..... I have replaced the audio drive, cut off the net(lan), uninstalled I-tunes, I have over 250gig of space on the H drive available, I don't use any compositing software on this machine and I'm still getting "audio foundation errors" that stop playback. And... it doesn't even have to have audio on the clip. Funny thing though, if I stretch out the timeline it seems to play back better. Weird and exasperating! Has anyone cured their machine??
Thanks, Jack

jmorgan
DeadLine Productions
Houston, Texas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]