copying effects to multiple clips

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jase
copying effects to multiple clips
by
on Oct 4, 2005 at 2:11:35 pm

Hi

I have been doing this for shortform editing but not for longform...so I wonder if anyone knows of an easier way...

I copy FX (say colour correction) to multiple clips instances by dragging the effect to bin, copy, then select clips in the timeline then paste.....easy enough eh?

...well for short form for a few clips anyway.....

Now I've got a 50 min prog with 6 cams diged from an EDL...and of course I am wanting different colour correction on each of the 6 cams....

so you can see selecting every shot of cam 1 in this long timeline would take a while......

I was wondering can I copy the CC then paste it to say cam 1's bin and it will link that effect to cam 1 clips in the timeline?

thoughts?

cheers,
Jason.

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
Re: copying effects to multiple clips
on Oct 5, 2005 at 2:57:40 pm

Once you have the Effect (color or otherwise) saved in a bin, simply copy the Effect in the bin, Control-Click on each of the clips in the timeline you want to have that Effect, and hit Paste. Voila!

Unfortunately, this doesn't work fo masks in the same fashion.

Enjoy!

G r i f f
-----
R o b e r t G r i f f i t h s , D i r e c t o r
F i r e D a n c e r P r o d u c t i o n s , I n c.
V e r o n a * N e w J e r s e y * U S A

http://www.FireDancer.tv

Return to posts index

Jase
by
on Oct 5, 2005 at 3:23:26 pm

yes have that sorted,,,,,

the problem is is you have every 3rd or so clip with the same paramaters of a colour correction and hundreds of edits...this can get quite tedious to select them zooming etc in the timeline.....what I am wanting is a global apply of effect:

ie: apply effect to tape no 3 , in say a bin, and it links to the tape no 3 clips in the timeline....

real world stuff...Avid does it....(hey a minor gripe, but in my opinion it blows away them hands down - please note Mr Boris!)

Jase

Return to posts index

Robert Griffiths
on Oct 5, 2005 at 3:30:53 pm

Ahhh, I see. I'm not familiar with a way to do that. I think that would require a robust database for media management, the kind Avid is famous for.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep each camera on a separete track making selection of a group of clips easier.

Good Luck,

G r i f f
-----
R o b e r t G r i f f i t h s , D i r e c t o r
F i r e D a n c e r P r o d u c t i o n s , I n c.
V e r o n a * N e w J e r s e y * U S A

http://www.FireDancer.tv

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Oct 8, 2005 at 10:45:16 pm

Unfortunately, that's the only way I know of, too. Each camera, or lighting condition, for that matter, gets its own layer, and you can select them that way.
BUT! Before you go down that road, make sure you have a back up of the entire timeline without any of these effects added, because if you decide the next day that Camera 1 is too saturated, it's easier to copy and paste new setting into a clean timeline, or even replace groups of corrected clips with clean ones, than it is to replace the settings on each individual clip (assuming you are using something besides the default filters, of course). Tedium doesn't even begin to describe that process.
It's so ironic -- it being such a powerful system and all. Of course, they didn't anticipate being completely destroyed by version 3 . . . :(

Glen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]