FORUMS: list search recent posts

BorisFX looking to buy Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Buck
BorisFX looking to buy Media 100
on Sep 13, 2005 at 9:32:42 pm

Of course nothing has been finalised in the purported purchase of M100 by Boris FX.
There of course many synergies between the companies, many smiles about relinking old employees with M100 and shared paths.

I'm sure we all hope Boris takes charge of one of the few NLE's that provides competition to FCP.

As we move forward i would like to suggest to Boris, as they do due diligence on OBase's Media100 unit, to include several key moves with any new ownership.They may only return investment funds and not make a deal of money for the bottom line but they would do wonders for rebuilding the goodwill of a once proud brand.

One would be to Immediately release an OMF option created by Diaquest for free to all users who stayed with M100 Mac HD during the tough times. Do an amazing deal on the Software only licence to existing users.

Then aim to release Vers 4 for 844x in 2006. Perhaps even combine it with completing work on an Auto Duck plug in. This will allow 844 users to keep working thru 2006-7 and would add inter-operability between other NLE's which has been long called for.

I think we all know it's too complicated and too expensive to take 844 any further with hardware but Vers 4 was a few months from release and many existing users actually paid for it with their platinum contracts.

Dont be shy either in asking this very loyal and valuable resource, the Cow M100'ers
what they think, want or dont want. Actually we know what we dont want.
More of we've just had!

John

Return to posts index

Elliott Dunwody
Re: BorisFX looking to buy Media 100
on Sep 13, 2005 at 9:57:39 pm

I think that it would be great for Bris to buy Media 100. Loyal to both companies. I used RED plug ins (beta) and they worked very nicely on 844/X.
Lets just get Media 100 away from Optibase then worry about the rest later.

Elliott

Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

J
by
on Sep 14, 2005 at 9:49:12 am

I've spoken to some who are involved but don't count on any futher development of 844/X. Optibase has made more damage then we all can imagine and it would take to much money and time to even bring version 4.
I hope I'm wrong :-) but I don't think so.

844/X was to good for this market, if you see what other companies bring today in terms of qualitiy and speed. I guess we all need to focus on some other machine for the future, how sad it will be.

Best,

J

Return to posts index

Elliott Dunwody
on Sep 14, 2005 at 1:46:25 pm

I just don

Return to posts index

Elliott Dunwody
on Sep 14, 2005 at 1:49:03 pm

But no matter what happens to 844/X I am still thrilled at the prospect of Boris owning Media 100. Boris has always been a class act. Maybe they can get Tim Wilson back. Now that would be cool.

Elliott

Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

Douglas Wagner
on Sep 15, 2005 at 12:47:06 pm

Even if Boris acquires Media 100, I will still never, ever purchase an Optibase product due to their incompetence. They can dry up and blow away as far as I'm concerned.

As for Boris, if this does happen, please, please strongly give consideration to reviving the 844/x. There is no current product on the planet that even comes close to its capabilities. I would acquire every update you release for it as well as a compatible Boris Red which I know you were working on but was never released. I was even on track to acquire the 844/x HD until Optibase pulled the plug on the project. It would've been a show stopper at the last NAB.

VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System

Return to posts index

Butch
on Sep 15, 2005 at 2:30:21 pm

I to dream about the 844 taking off again and agree with all the praise it receives.
Nothing compares.
Go Boris Go

Helping others gives you good cowma.

Return to posts index

Tomo
by
on Sep 23, 2005 at 1:45:25 am

I remember meeting Boris himself, on my first trip to NAB, all those years ago. I ventured to Vegas from Australia to
buy version 1 of Artel's Boris FX.... from the man directly!! It became a set of tools I used daily on my Media 100 for many years. I up graded as often as possible. If Boris puts the same level of expertise, enthusiasm and proffessionalism into M100 and ,I hope 844/X, as he has done with his achievements to date.... , then the world will be a better place!!

Go Boris Go and Good luck.

Tomo
prophecypost
Adelaide
Australia

Tom Molnar
Senior Editor
Prophecy Post
South Australia
61 419 144 870
tom@prophecypost.com.au

Return to posts index

Max Power
on Sep 16, 2005 at 1:41:27 am

// Optibase has made more damage then we all can imagine and
// it would take to much money and time to even bring version 4.

In terms of the damage to the customer base? Or simply having let the
product sit on the shelf too long, that others have begun to catch up to
it?

I hope if Boris does pick up 844/X and has a go at reviving it,
they give some of the former 844/X engineers a call...

Return to posts index

Keith Hill
on Oct 4, 2005 at 4:06:32 pm

Though I think this is a great development for Media100. I think it is shameful what Optibase did to this company and the people that worked so hard to get 844x to the point where it was poised to be the 'go-to' HD editing and compositing system of the future.

To me, it is now clear that Optibase simply acquired M100 for the technology. In other words, for the boards. Notice in the press release that it carefully states that: "As part of the acquisition agreement Boris FX will continue to purchase HDX video boards from Optibase....."

I commend Boris for what they are doing. It's just a shame they didn't see this opportunity before Optibase got a hold of M100. Can you imagine M100 products (844x and m100hd) with Boris FX, RED. Continuum and Blue all on those machines). They would be in the house house, for real. Now, we'll just have to see. I have FCP5 so I'm not interested in m100HD, but I was sold on the power of 844x and the 844X HD that was supposed to be. Now, I just wish for a 844x HD MAC version. I'm sure that's just a dream though.

Best wishes to M100 and Boris.

Keith Hill
http://www.LightedPath.biz
Dallas, TX
Final Cut Pro 5.0.2, Combustion (MAC-v3.0.4), DVD StudioPro 4 (v 3.0.2); MAC G5 (v10.4.2-Tiger) 2Ghz, 1.5 RAM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]