FORUMS: list search recent posts

Amazing System

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliott Dunwody
Amazing System
on Aug 14, 2005 at 7:34:59 pm

As most of you know I am a diehard Media 100 fan and an 844/x fanatic. Our business has grown so much over the last year I have had to hire 2 more editors and have not had anytime on any of our system lately. I have been in the field on production pretty much all of the time.
But because of vacation issues I got on the 844/X last week to cut a 4-camera shoot.
844/X is incredible. All four cameras were digitized, put in the 4 corners of the screen, audio synced and cut. I forgot how easy it could be.
Please, lets get this system supported again.

Elliott Dunwody

Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

john
Re: Amazing System
by
on Aug 14, 2005 at 10:46:09 pm

get uzi over to your shop elliott! enthuse him :-)

with Apple's decision to go PC, i guess the decision to drop (oops "freeze") the 844x and fire the amazing knowledge base of engineers capable of creating and editing on a PC platform is making
even less sense now to the Optibase board.

jb

Return to posts index

Douglas Wagner
on Aug 15, 2005 at 12:38:24 pm

Really? I figured it would screw them into the ground. As I recall, the Media100 HD is a Mac OSX only product and may require a major investment by Optibase to get it running on the new Intel-based Macs. An investment that they may not feel is worth their effort. This may be the last straw for Optibase regarding Media 100.

And quite frankly, it may be the end for Apple as a computer manufacturer as well. They are now going to have to compete in the cut throat Intel/AMD marketplace. They're not going to be able to justify their obscene pricing any longer. It may be Apple, the software company, in a couple of years. I don't see Apple gaining market share over this decision. They even managed to alienate a lot of Mac-heads by this switch. They feel like Apple has sold out and they've been betrayed.

VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System

Return to posts index

Elliott Dunwody
on Aug 15, 2005 at 3:17:47 pm

[Douglas Wagner] " They're not going to be able to justify their obscene pricing any longer."

Investors dont seem to care. The stock is up 1.00 today and analist are calling for a buy.

Elliott

4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

Return to posts index

Douglas Wagner
on Aug 15, 2005 at 5:08:43 pm

We'll find out in 2006 and 2007 when these units start to ship. My future replacement for the 844/X will be an HD product and will not be any offering from Apple, Optibase or its wholly owned subsidiaries. I've learned my lesson.

Until then, I'll use the 844/X. It is still a pioneering product that the manufacturer's parent company didn't know what to do with.

Return to posts index

john
by
on Aug 16, 2005 at 1:38:51 am

doug

maybe i was too cynical or cryptic.

what i was saying is that M100 HD is Mac only and without Macs around in
the future it seems pretty short sighted IMHO to dump the 'other' team, the PC team who
could have made 844 and M100 a player against Avid.

there will be a lag between FCP and other card manufacturers being
ready to go, leaving Avid a clear run - by all accounts 844 was 6 months away from HD on PC in 2004!

sadly doug we (Joran and 70 odd other users) tried with Paul Sears to spark the OBas team into action but alas...

like you i am using the vers 3 software to online a tv show for a major network
here and every now and then i look back on the announcements made in sept 2004
and - shake my head.

john

Return to posts index

Douglas Wagner
on Aug 16, 2005 at 12:20:34 pm

Three years back at NAB an Apple Rep. told me that they were going to kill Media 100 with Final Cut. He said they would put Media 100 out of business. I just don't understand why Media 100 (Optibase) decided to place all of their eggs in the Mac platform basket when Apple was making such statements. A death wish perhaps?

You are correct John. Optibase has absolutely no understanding of this marketplace. It's only a matter of time before they divest themselves of this mis-matched Media 100 aquisition. It makes me wonder why on earth they aquired it in the first place.

844/X HD was going to be a show stopper at NAB 05. Media 100 HD is a bit of a yawner.

Return to posts index

TedSikora
on Aug 16, 2005 at 4:07:53 pm

I do love the 844x, but there was no 24p on the horizon, so I had to purchase a mac, and now I equally love the Mac - albeit for different reasons.

Apple/Final Cut is not a bad thing. I think it's misplaced to blame the demise of Media 100 on Apple. All's fair, and if Media 100 didn't keep up - whether it be in marketing or missing features - they should only look to themselves. From my point of view, the better Apple gets the less worried I become about an old 844x system.

Avid should be watching their back now. The Apple works and works relatively affordably, and the difference between the systems is going to only get narrower.

Same thing happened with audio some years back. The technolgy is catching up fast, and pretty soon the system with the most features for the lowest price will win. Which means we, the users, all win.

Return to posts index

John Buck
on Aug 17, 2005 at 3:21:10 am

ted

i beg to differ
but not in a way that i'm picking for a fight ala russell crowe style

we the users dont all win becasue i'm afraid some of us (300+) invest in products like 844 which still have certain capabilites detailed in the manuals that dont work. or we invest money in hardware development like HD and train staff and then...no product, no income, sack staff. i certainly havent WON

in this new world of editing and compositing there will be fewer choices, and sure - lower prices for equipment but more than likely a drop in rates that can be charged as a result.

tried competing with the 20 yr old in a garage?

companies like mine will no longer hire full time staff or take a punt on companies like M100.

as for the potted history of M100, it was no secret whispered at a trade show by an FCP rep we're talking about - M100 and Molinari knew Apple wanted to slice and dice them, Jobs told them that when he grabbed Keygrip off them

Trouble was Molinari put almost all their bets on the PC and dedicated Hardware, at the same time he made mac M100 users fund the R&D and then created a product that came out in the middle of an economic and social malaise.

all would have come out in the wash if Optibase had stayed away and M100 ended up as an evolved PC product in 2006. Instead in a way we all lost.

john b

Return to posts index

TedSikora
on Aug 17, 2005 at 3:03:12 pm

Continuing the friendly banter/tangent....

The business is constanty changing. It's not Media100's or Apple's fault.

As a former "garage" guy, I have no problem with the inevitable video empowering of the masses. This will allow things like quality, imagination, service, reputation, and environment to be the elements that dictate the rates - not the system.

Return to posts index

Elliott Dunwody
on Aug 17, 2005 at 6:07:00 pm

[TedSikora] "This will allow things like quality, imagination, service, reputation, and environment to be the elements that dictate the rates - not the system. "

Very nicely put...

Elliott

4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

Return to posts index

jay blanchard
on Aug 18, 2005 at 12:30:08 pm

Ted

OTM

Return to posts index

TedSikora
on Aug 18, 2005 at 3:34:34 pm

OTM?

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Aug 23, 2005 at 4:37:05 am

On The Money? ;)

Return to posts index

ScottGfx
on Sep 1, 2005 at 5:40:54 am

[Douglas Wagner] "And quite frankly, it may be the end for Apple as a computer manufacturer as well. They are now going to have to compete in the cut throat Intel/AMD marketplace."

This really doesn't make any sense. Your message looks more like misplaced anger to me. I've seen Apple computer sold along side Intel and AMD systems for years. Is that not competing? While I find the move to Intel intriguing, it by no means, signals a move to commodity "white-box" systems.

Someone else here used the term "death wish" and Media100 in the same breath. Back in the day I thought the same about them. A reseller from Ft. Lauderdale that sent a demo guy with no editing knowledge and could not answer questions. A card that only did 640x480 when everything else I was using at the time was ITU-R 601. (Even a NuVista did proper blanking (648x486)) There was no way to compress files in a Media100 codec without the card.

Would be interesting though if they could take the 844X hardware and make it work with FCP. I offered the same advice to Accom about five years ago with the Affinity hardware. You can see where they are today. They stopped selling the things over a year ago. They have recently stopped selling anything.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]