FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's your favorite (effective) backup strategy?

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Hurd
What's your favorite (effective) backup strategy?
on Aug 4, 2005 at 4:26:29 pm

It's been a while since I messed with consolidate (it had issues with slipping footage in the timeline by mis-assigning timecode to copied media). Has this been fixed? If not, what is the best method for backing up projects?

Thanks,

Glen Hurd
DDG Productions

Return to posts index

J
Re: What's your favorite (effective) backup strategy?
by
on Aug 4, 2005 at 7:29:16 pm

As far as I know it isn't fixed but I could be wrong.
I normally backup the whole project on a 40 gig DLT or a firewire drive. But to get space on my 844/X I copy overnight the projects to a NAS.
This helps with short or medium large projects, large projects I delete all media and re-aquire when or if necessary.

Best,

J

Return to posts index

TedSikora
on Aug 10, 2005 at 7:21:57 pm

For commercials I've had pretty good luck with consolidating and burning to DVD-R.

However, allowing 'handles' does not work at all.

If it's a video job with supers on top - I found that I have to render the bottom layer video with no supers as one :30 or :60 second file.

Then replace my cut video pieces in the timeline with the new piece I had output.

Consolidate works fine after I do this, and I can store all pieces of a job on 1-3 dvds.

Reloading jobs has been a breeze.

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Aug 11, 2005 at 6:37:22 pm

Thanks, Joran and Ted. I was hoping those consolidation issues had been solved, but these are good work-arounds.

It's sad to see this forum so quiet. I've just started on a series of commercials that requires a ton of green screen footage composited on virtual backgrounds, and this edit box rocks. I was using an Avid Adrenaline system for freelance a little while ago, after being off it for some time, and came to appreciate even more how amazing this 844X is as a compositor/editor. The Avid felt like a restrictive little toy by comparison. Truly sad to "see" the silence here . . .

Return to posts index

Tydence
on Aug 15, 2005 at 6:28:25 pm

Perhaps a quiet forum is a good thing. The system is quite intuitive, and that may have a big hand in it. Less problems = less posts.

As for a backup strategy? Tape. I really hate to say it, but for 30min shows, it works.

It would be absolutely fantastic if there was a way to really reduce the size of a project, but keep quality (and perhaps a few select layers with alpha channels). It would be even better if it imported and exported the compressed project in real-time. And better still if there was a media large enough to archive it on.

How do you back up 2TB of projects?
(It doesn

Return to posts index

TedSikora
on Aug 16, 2005 at 3:52:58 pm

Even with a long 30 minute show - depending upon how you author it - you could take the bottom video layer only and send it out to tape. Then delete all the video from the timeline and consolidate the compositing effects. This method should make it very easy to reassemble, and shouldn't take up too many DVDs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]