FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktime in 884x

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carrie
Quicktime in 884x
on Jun 28, 2005 at 1:11:24 pm

I have been trying to export a file from my G5 in after effect to a quicktime file that I can use in 844x ( a pc based video editor). I exported the file as an uncompressed 884x file but when I try to import it into 884x it will not recognize the file. I also notice when I exported the file it was HUGE 2,095,267KB would size be an issue?

Return to posts index

RobM
Re: Quicktime in 884x
by
on Jun 28, 2005 at 4:57:33 pm

Size shouldn't be an issue and uncompressed files *will* be huge, by definition. You could always try exporting a shorter/smaller test file and see if that works.

So you have the latest Mac Instant Media component installed on the G5?
http://support.media100.com/KBSearch/kbDocument.aspx?id=196

How are you transferring the file from the G5 to 844/X? (it's possible it may be getting corrupted in the process...)

When you say 844/X "will not recognize the file", what does that mean exactly? Are you receiving any error messages upon import? Does the file open okay in QuickTime Player on the 844/X system?

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Jun 28, 2005 at 6:07:31 pm

Also, pay attention to the name files. When we transfer any files from Mac to PC, the PC creates a file that looks the same, but has an underscore at the beginning. So you end up with 2 files for each files transfered. I believe that's a holder/placer file, but doesn't do anything. If you're trying to import that file, it won't work.

On a different path, If it was me, I would be saving the 'master' animation in a animation codec, then have 844x import from that file. This way, if you needed the animation later and are using a different edit system, you just import it from the animation codec. But that's just me :)

Good luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

RobM
by
on Jun 28, 2005 at 6:26:54 pm

[Todd at UCSB] "On a different path, If it was me, I would be saving the 'master' animation in a animation codec, then have 844x import from that file. This way, if you needed the animation later and are using a different edit system, you just import it from the animation codec."

That's a good suggestion as well, but AFAIK the Animation codec is sill only 8-bit. If you're trying to preserve a full 10-bit workflow, then the 844/X Uncompressed is the way to go.

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Jun 28, 2005 at 7:34:57 pm

FYI
In the prefs for AE and in the comp settings you can choose 16bit.

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 28, 2005 at 8:12:25 pm

[Todd at UCSB] "In the prefs for AE and in the comp settings you can choose 16bit."

Yes, but while AE renders in 16bit it still writes into an 8bit codec.

Return to posts index

RobM
by
on Jun 28, 2005 at 8:22:49 pm

Yes the comp within AE will be 16-bit, but as far as I know, Apple's Animation and None codecs still only support 8 bits per channel, not 16 (anyone feel free to jump in and correct me if I'm wrong...maybe this changed with QT7?)

If you render a 16-bit AE comp to a codec that is only 8-bit, then you're going to be truncating/rounding/losing data (probably not critical in most cases unless you're layering/compositing, but good to be aware of.) In the same way that you can have a 24-bit TIFF file in Photoshop and you save it out to a 256-color GIF file. You can't stuff 16-bits worth of information into an 8-bit bag.

I believe this is one of the reasons Digital Anarchy developed "none 16":
http://www.digitalanarchy.com/micro/micro_none16.html

"None16 is similar to Apple

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]