FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Bring out your dead!"

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Griffiths
"Bring out your dead!"
on Jun 8, 2005 at 5:56:23 am

"... I'm not dead yet!"

Sorry I don't give up easily. Let's try to jumpstart this development idea. Hand me the paddles. CLEAR! BZZZZ!!!

I encourage everyone to beat the bushes and contact every 844x owner you know and send them Paul's original proposal. If they are even mildly interested have them send their email address to John. Right now he has 70. If we can get that number to 100... AND... Paul puts something solid on the table, this may still work.

Hey John, chime in here with the details on how to contact you?

"Give my creature life!!!"

Thanks!

G r i f f
-----
R o b e r t G r i f f i t h s , D i r e c t o r
F i r e D a n c e r P r o d u c t i o n s , I n c.
V e r o n a * N e w J e r s e y * U S A

http://www.FireDancer.tv

Return to posts index

John Buck
There's a heartbeat in the 844
on Jun 8, 2005 at 9:03:01 am

email me if you havent already to say
hey hang on we still want Paul Sears and/or Optibase to push out 844 Vers 3.5

velocite (at) gmail.com

john

p.s. joran you're starting to sound positively conspiratorial :-)

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
Re: There's a heartbeat in the 844
on Jun 8, 2005 at 9:18:06 pm

Isn't there another side to furthering the development? I read that some didn't want to support it because HD wasn't in the picture, or some other feature wasn't going to be developed. Well, how about the value of the 844X? Isn't that important? Right now, without any development, what is an 844X worth? $10,000? $7,000?
With ongoing development, and a focus on improving it in areas where others can't well compete, it's value has to climb back up, at least a couple thousand, doesn't it?
Right now, as it stands, we're all holding anchors. Good, solid, anchors . . . but anchors none the less. For $50 a week we can invest in Avids, FCP systems, Sony whatevers -- you name it. But already owning an 844X, adding $50 a week to improve it seems like a pretty good boost, since we're still ahead of the curve in a lot of areas.
Sure HD is the future, but it's been "the future" for a while now. The majority of broadcasts are still SD -- plenty of money there. HD DVD players aren't even a market right now, and won't be for another year, at least. SD is still going to be around for a little while longer, and SD customers still pay. So throw a little money in the pot, keep it growing, and sell it to a local cable station in 3 years for the same value you can get right now -- or even more! Would you rent it for $50 a week?
Its value will be higher as a result of the continued developement, maybe to the point that the money invested is almost a break even? I don't know. But without any development, its value has to be less than a new uncompressed Final Cut HD system, just on the basis that no-one will want a system that has no future. By sitting on our hands, we have nothing. Make a little effort, and we're back in the air again.
Top priority should be compatibility for the big boys (Avid and FCP).
Develop only the areas that others cannot compete in.
(read: no audio fantasies, here people. I can buy a DAW, for crying out loud, off ebay. I can't buy the quality of video or speed this thing exhibits very easily -- so put the money into the niche! You know . . . ease of animating elements, keyframe management, color controls, etc.)
So for $50 a week we can have ongoing development, increase it's perceived value, and still kick projects out faster and better. It's not the best-case scenario, but it sure beats doing nothing, doesn't it?
I don't get it. What am I not seeing?

Glen Hurd
DDG Productions

Return to posts index

john buck
on Jun 8, 2005 at 11:29:43 pm

you're not missing anything glen
and nice to hear someone else give a reason to 'push on'

anyone else?

john

Return to posts index

ahmed
on Jun 9, 2005 at 11:11:36 pm

hi to all of you ,all of you were talking about software development,only to go to v3.05,may be you are all bosses in you work i mean controling every thing,,,,but for guy like me what iam going to say to my boss when i hade a failier board ? orwhen v3.05 becomes unstable so we need 3.06 ,,,,,,how many bunches do you think i can handle,after i ask him to pay mony for something iam the only one (at least here working with )and belive in....by the way iam not bismistic , and i never giveup easly

Ahmed th.
senior editor
MBC tv
Ryiad KSA

Return to posts index

Elliott Dunwody
on Jun 10, 2005 at 12:18:33 pm

Good point Ahmed. The only way realistically this will work is if someone buys the technology. In November our support will be finished so I will be in a jam if something goes wrong. Oh and by the way, that is when we will make our last payment also. 844/X has made us money but the only way we can re-coop is for it to work when I own it and not the bank.

Elliott

Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]