FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media 100 News from NAB?

COW Forums : Media 100 844/X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elliott Dunwody
Media 100 News from NAB?
on Apr 19, 2005 at 10:17:36 am

Any 844/X talk happening, whats the 411?

Elliott

Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

Douglas Wagner
Re: Media 100 News from NAB?
on Apr 19, 2005 at 7:33:09 pm

So I guess from the lack of news from Media 100 at NAB that there are no announcements regarding 844/X and really not much else exciting going on.
I'll just run it until it breaks and then migrate to something else.

It's actually kind of sad considering that Media 100 used to have one of the busiest booths at NAB. And then came Final Cut Pro......

VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System

Return to posts index

RCCoblentz
on Apr 21, 2005 at 2:13:15 am

Just back form Vegas and nothing to report on the 844/X front. They had one up and demo-ing, along side HD and SW. Nothing official or new to report.

Return to posts index

Bob George
on Apr 21, 2005 at 4:13:20 am

I'm still in Las Vegas and here is what I found out. The bad news, there are no plans to develop HiDef for the 844/X, it's just too expensive to do. The good news, there is a group of people trying to find a way to continue to finish the next release. From what I know they are trying to work out the details and I think someone will be contacting the 844/X users to find out everyones interest in this possibllity. I hope they can work it out, it could be a great release for us.

Bob

Return to posts index

Elliott Dunwody
on Apr 21, 2005 at 8:36:37 pm

Now that sounds good

Elliott

Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

John Buck
on Apr 21, 2005 at 10:18:46 pm

i hope this story of a white knight/s is the real deal and not what we call in australia a 'furfy' or u guys may call a 'chinese whisper'

it would be good to see the looe ends of the 3.5 release tied up, be that fixing OMF and EDL management, including over sized image import or adding the FCP workflow ability delivered with an Auto Duck plug in..

I have always said I would pay to have these features and with 300 or more of us that would amount ot something

john

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Apr 22, 2005 at 6:04:07 am

Don't get too exceited.
That is NOT the vibe I got from Media 100 when i visted the booth.
I talked with Amir Goren (aka the Weasel). He retolded me the same story (not mentioning the users input) about trying to get some engineers to finish a 3.5 upgrade. But he told it with all of the conviction of a 5 year-old getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar. I mentioned how great the 844x and how it needs to live on, and he said something to the effect of 'ya, well it's too bad, but there's nothing to do'
I wanted to talk with Steve B., but after hearing from Amir I was too depressed.
So I made sure that I looked very closely at Leitch and Discreet before I left.
I am absolutely sure that the 844x is at the of the line.
Sad but true.

PS No disrespect to Bob and I'm not trying to dump on media 100. just what I saw from being in production bus. 10 years.

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

RCCoblentz
on Apr 22, 2005 at 12:20:40 pm

There were a few hints of a "release or two" from a deal "in the works." Cautiously optimistic. Very cautiously.

Return to posts index

Jason Kalinoski
on Apr 22, 2005 at 3:43:32 pm

I talked to Steve Bayes and he confirmed what everyone else is mentioning...the possibility of a group of engineers finishing up the next release on their own. He did warn that that they had just started kicking this around, so nothing was set in stone.

Jason

Return to posts index

Jason Kalinoski
on Apr 22, 2005 at 3:46:47 pm

I talked to Steve Bayes and he confirmed what everyone else is mentioning...the possibility of a group of engineers finishing up the next release on their own. He did warn that that they had just started kicking this around, so nothing was set in stone.

Jason

Return to posts index

Matty O'Tool
on Apr 22, 2005 at 9:31:16 pm

That I just won't stand for. Amir Goren is ABSOLUTLEY NOT "the weasel". He was as bummed as the rest of us in January. He's a great guy, and a straight shooter. The recent moves at M100 were top down. These moves were proposed by the board members and the CEO, not Tommy, but the new guy.
We're all pissed, i mean, I lost the job and product that i lived for. Most of you feel that you lost a good friend and made a substantial investment (which is true). However, if we're going to throw stones (and boy it's fun isn't it) than lets herl them at the right folks.

I know I keep disappearing from this list and then making abrupt re-appearences. I can really only sound off about certain stuff as a former Employee.

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSB
on Apr 22, 2005 at 10:14:18 pm

Thanks for the response Matty.
I don't know Amir from Adam, so I'll take your word over my interaction. Maybe he was as uncomfortable as I was, but he didn't strike me as being sympathic or sincere about the demise of 844x or the future.

Also, regardless who said it, the story about getting together a team of engineers to finish a 3.5 release is just company baloney for NAB. If it wasn't for NAB, I doubt Media 100 would be pursuing a 3.5 release. Also, it's realy not in the company's best interest to spend money on a product that they are NOT going to develope any further. I wouldn't if I was them. Not to mention after how they were treated, what engineer in their right mind would want to help M100?

Again, I AM NOT trying to bad mouth Media 100, I have brought Media 100 more money than probably any single individual over the past five years. We have a Media HD system and love it, BUT it doesn't take a genuis to realize why things were said under the circumstanes.

Peace.

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

PassePartout
on Apr 23, 2005 at 12:34:46 am

A very interesting thread.

It could possibly be true that some engineers, not now connected to M100 or Optibase, are looking into possibilities. There are people at M100/Optibase as well that would like to see these engineers make a go of it and get the next big release out the door. Whose door, it is not known yet.

But if I were an 844/X owner, I'd keep an eye on my email over the next week or so to learn how such a thing might happen. I would also be digging deeply to see how much such an effort would be worth.

As veteran users know, the 844/X editing/compositing experience, while missing some important features that can be addressed, is light years performance-wise beyond anything else on the market at this time. Until you play at full rate a timeline with 4 video and moving matte tracks (8 sources of motion pix), each with many F/X on them, you have not experienced 844/X. But everyone knows this, right?

What would you do to keep such a competitive advantage?

How much is it worth to you?

These are questions each owner must ask themselves.

pp

Return to posts index

Douglas Wagner
on Apr 25, 2005 at 1:20:03 pm

Well if it happens, I hope it is more stable then the 3.5 beta I have. It crashes way too much every day to be considered even close to release.

Just to put my two cents in, I'd like to see a stable release of 3.5 or just jump to 4.0 which I understand was fairly far along in the development cycle.

I'd purchase it in a heartbeat!

Also I saw that Leitch is offering a competitive upgrade for the VelocityHD. You even get to keep your existing system and yes, the 844X is on the list of qualifying systems.

VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System

Return to posts index

John Buck
on Apr 26, 2005 at 12:42:00 am

thanks for the calming truthful tones Matty(?)

i heard that the new CEO disagreed with Amir and his team so vehemently and was so stuck on his IPTV plans that he was prepared to ruin more than one person's life to prove he was the boss. i had to fire staff because of this action.

Phil H pointed out that M100 picked the wrong product to go forward with. Maybe he's right but how real is the concept of an 844 Vrs 3.5
or 4?

A few months back both myself and another 844 user engaged in the odd email to and fro with third party s/w developers. You know companies with non-manual animal names and other ones whose boxed sets are being sold in the bargain bin at M100.

they were curious to see if 844 users would pay to get their product working within 844 BUT there was a big BUT.

Would M100 and Mr Breier allow non staff engineers get their hands on code and boards to test and develop? Of course not.

We all know that the 844 would be a great online conduit for FCP (think of every person with a G5 but no Digibeta or true HD deck) if it had genuine EDL/OMF/AAF and workflow features

how about Pixel lock,Paint and Roto features for your project or promo?.

it was all -----this close----------

And of course you could take this a further step.....why not let a small software company in alaska, or australia or norway be able to write red hot plugins or features for the 844 - like a real time "film look" filter set -

But back to reality. Right now it doesnt do HD. actually it never will and the Mac product can do this and do it well- --- so i need for the 844 to cook in SD.

otherwise its dead - dead - dead

so yes i would pay money to make money.
i would help manage a users list to work out price points for extras.

email us and let's work out a deal.

john
velocite.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]