FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's difference between mac OS Extened and Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rich krysz
What's difference between mac OS Extened and Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?
on Jul 1, 2008 at 6:54:57 am

people recommend for external drive be set to OS Extended and not journaled...why?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: What's difference between mac OS Extened and Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?
on Jul 1, 2008 at 7:03:47 am

[rich krysz] "people recommend for external drive be set to OS Extended and not journaled...why?"

Because journaling is basically an index for the hard drive that the OS uses to find things faster when you use the search function. The OS will update this index automatically whenever it thinks it's necessary. It's generally accepted that this index updating process will interfere with log and capture and other things that require media drives to be under the strict control of FCP and not the operating system.

- Don

Return to posts index

Gabriele de Simone
on Jul 1, 2008 at 7:56:42 pm

I think there is some confusion here between journaling and Spotlight indexing.

Journaling is a feature of the file system (e.g. HFS+, ZFS, NTFS, etc.) A Journaling file system is one that keeps a fail-safe log of all read/write operations, and updates the log according to what operations complete successfully. This "journal" allows the file system to remain in a known state and to be immune to crashes.

I would strongly advise that you turn on journaling for external discs as well. It will likely come in handy if you accidentally unplug the drive while transferring files, for instance. The performance hit that comes from enabling journaling is negligible on modern hardware.

Spotlight indexing is the process of observing all the changes to the file system (so the Spotlight engine sits on top of the file system, whatever that may be) and maintaining an index of metadata for each file on the disc. I am not sure how indexing could interfere with Log and Transfer, but that's just ignorance on my part: I'm sure there's plenty of things that can go wrong with it...

Gabe
Noise Industries, LLC

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jul 1, 2008 at 9:23:19 pm

[Gabriele de Simone] "I am not sure how indexing could interfere with Log and Transfer, but that's just ignorance on my part: I'm sure there's plenty of things that can go wrong with it... "

That's why there's the option to drag any drive into Spotlight's Privacy Window so the app leaves the drive alone.

With these days of faster processing and read/write speeds I'm sure that journaling your discs wouldn't be too much of issue with stuff like DV NTSC capture, but larger formats that require more processing might be. To be safe I always recommend to keep Spotlight and Journaling out of the picture for media drives. This is a question that always splits the answers into two camps: those like myself and those that contend that journaling is not the issue it once was. There's a ton of posts on this topic if one uses the COW's search function.

Here's one of them:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/986462#986615

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]