FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch Export - no chapter markers, why that is?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mortimer heathcliff
Batch Export - no chapter markers, why that is?
on Mar 19, 2008 at 3:57:30 pm

Hmmm...I've noticed this before, but finally figured i would aks somebody. When i export a timeline via "batch export", there is no option to keep DVD SP chapter markers intact, but if i export directly from the timeline, the option is there. Does anyone here know how to keep chapter markers intact when exporting via Batch Export?

thanks again!

mh

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Batch Export - no chapter markers, why that is?
on Mar 19, 2008 at 3:58:55 pm

Chapter markers are a function of a sequence. Batch export is for exporting clip by clip, so no sequence info like chapter markers would be retained. Makes sense to me.

Kevin Monahan

fcpworld.com

Author - Motion Grahpics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

mortimer heathcliff
on Mar 19, 2008 at 4:06:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. That's too bad that this is the reason, since batch export is very handy utility to render out several sequences at once (like, for overnight), unless there is some other way to render several sequences without it (and thus keep chapter markers intact?)

thanks again!

mh

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Mar 19, 2008 at 4:12:38 pm

Yes, select the sequences: OPT + R. Walk away.

Kevin Monahan

fcpworld.com

Author - Motion Grahpics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 19, 2008 at 7:40:31 pm

Just be sure that if you have sequences that have media that is disabled, to remove the disabled clips, otherwise FCP will go into some sort of weird rerender phase, even though the sequence is already rendered. Kinda like when you go to ETT and you have disabled clips, FCP will render the timeline, even though it looks like everything is rendered. It's a weird buggy type thing.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Mar 19, 2008 at 8:55:40 pm

I completely agree. The Batch Export is definitely missing chapter markers, dvd markers, etc. We have requested Apple correct this several times now.

Please fill in the feedback. The more they hear this, the more likely they are to fix it:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

David Hames
on Mar 19, 2008 at 11:14:30 pm

And in terms of "feedback" to Apple and markers, we need to also encourage them to add the ability to do a search (find) for text in markers. Markers seem like a great way to add a quick note about a clip, but if I can't do a "find" to track that clip down later, it's pretty much a limited function. I know I can add log notes, but those don't put me on the specific frame within the clip. Of course, even more ironic, is that there's a place within the marker dialogue to add a "comment." Just hope you don't want to try and use your computer's powerful search capabilities to try and find it. But hey, it's only version 6--searching for specific text is something that must require special floating point processing, or faster VRAM, because if the company that invented "Spotlight" can't get their "professional" editing software to find a note you added in a marker they must assume people that use FCP don't edit documentaries and don't have a lot of footage to organize--I guess they designed it to simply add "page turns" to vacation videos.

Pardon my rant, but it seems like a blatant oversight.

Red Balloon

films and other visual enticements

http://balloonballoon.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 20, 2008 at 3:47:50 am

Beautifully said, but I am not sure if you have explored your options. When adding a marker to a clip or timeline, hit 'mm', that's m twice. In the resulting popup you will see a comment field. Type what you want. Now if you navigate to the marker in your timeline, you will see your comment in the canvas underneath the name of the marker. If you hit command-f with your timeline selected you can then search for text in names/markers and hit find. Then hit f3 to find the next one down the line, hit shift f3 to find the ones before it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Hames
on Mar 20, 2008 at 4:46:09 pm

That's great for the markers in the timeline, however, you can't "find" names or comments for markers in clips in your browser--if it's not in the timeline (or your timeline isn't highlighted) it's invisible to the "find" command. I typically have 20 to 30 hours of source material for a project and often times, while looking for a shot, I find another shot that I'd like to note as something to keep in mind for another part of the project. So I can edit this shot into a "good b-roll" sequence which is a significant interruption to my workflow--and often produces an equally long sequence which I have to wade through. The other option is that I can add a marker, give it a name, then navigate to the "log note" entry on the clip to retype what I just entered in the marker so I can "find" it later, but that's not very productive either. Sure, I want it the way I want it, which is: hit "mm" type a note for the name and move on--fast and efficient--but as of version 6.0.2, that marker is not searchable outside of it residing in my timeline.

Final Cut, and non-linear editors in general, are due for a major interface overhaul in terms of managing media, something more like Aperture or iPhoto, but for video. There's software out there called iDive, which may have potential, but it's targeted more toward serious hobbyists than professionals and it's a separate program, but the way it lets you view and organize media is a step in the right direction. (I've been keeping my eye on it.) Maybe Final Cut Server, if it ever gets released, will provide the answer. But if Apple is unable or unwilling to make marker text searchable, having a revolutionary way of organizing my media seems unlikely.

David

Red Balloon

films and other visual enticements

http://balloonballoon.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]