FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing Final Cut 7 to a new software

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manuela Porter
Changing Final Cut 7 to a new software
on Mar 6, 2020 at 1:00:50 pm

Hi everyone,
I am working in the Postproduction department of a dubbing company and we are investing in a software update. We intend is to update macOS from Sierra to the latest version and for the 64bits therms, we have also to change our editing software.

The reason we haven't change it yet is because, as I have been able to check, Final Cut 7 is the only software where the audio tracks assignation is easy and logical and we always generate a quite complex audio configuration with video files.
I show you an example to explain myself with a possibly real project.

Our client asks an Apple Prores 422 HQ with this audio config:
- 5.1 SMPTE (in English)
- 5.1 SMPTE (in VO)
- 2.0 (Eng)
- 2.0 (VO)
- 2.0 (Music and Effects)

What we have been doing until now is configure the Final Cut 7 sequence settings as 18 tracks (12 mono and 6 stereo). Export a Prores video file and then assign the L-R-C-LFE-Ls-Rs to the corresponding track (by Quicktime cmnd+J).

The thing is I have been trying to do the same in Premiere Pro, Davinci Resolve (free version) and Final Cut X and (maybe I'm stupid) it haven't worked that way. I can choose a multiple channel track but can't export so easily the 12 mono and 6 stereo. And there is no control over every channel of the track.

So, what I am asking for is the best software (64bits) to update our equipment and how the audio configuration works.

Thank you really much in advance. If there is a need to be more specific just ask ;)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Changing Final Cut 7 to a new software
on Mar 9, 2020 at 6:50:17 am

I hear you...that was the really great thing about FCP 7.

Well, Resolve does exactly what you want...on the DELIVERY page. First thing you do, on the EDIT page, is set up the audio track type. You can set them to MONO or STEREO or 5.1. So set them to what you want to set them.

THEN, on the DELIVERY page, in the AUDIO TAB, you can switch from the default MAIN STEREO, to TIMELINE track. And add tracks until you have them all. It does exactly what you want.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 9, 2020 at 5:40:05 pm

thanks Shane.
Does Resolve allow simultaneous filtering, editing of dual mono tracks? I lost this capability after shifting a project from FCP 7 to Premiere? A stereo camera track converted to dual mono.
Best,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 9, 2020 at 6:06:26 pm

You can change the track type at any time..make it mono, make it stereo. But I guess I'm not totally clear on the question. "...simultaneous filtering, editing of dual mono tracks..." You lost the abililty to do that in PRemiere? What is that exactly?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Mar 10, 2020 at 9:44:44 pm

When I exported a project from FCP7 to Premiere using XML the stereo camera mic tracks converted from stereo to "dual mono." Now to add filters and effects to the tracks I have to duplicate them for each track. Can't convert these back to a stereo track in Premiere. Would it be possible in Resolve?
Hope that's more clear.
Tks, Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 10, 2020 at 10:49:24 pm

[Robert Withers] "When I exported a project from FCP7 to Premiere using XML the stereo camera mic tracks converted from stereo to "dual mono.""

OK...that's a translation issue. That won't happen if you start a project in Premiere or FCX or Resolve. That is an issue because you converted projects.

[Robert Withers] "Can't convert these back to a stereo track in Premiere."

Nope, because how they do audio tracks is very different. FCP didn't have a single track for stereo..it was always a stereo pair, but on TWO tracks...dual mono. Yes, you COULD export those two together as a stereo track, but only on final export. Actually, if you looked at the QT file with QT Pro, you'll see that there's two tracks, one for stereo LEFT, one for Stereo RIGHT.

PRemiere and Resolve...and even Avid...have the option for a SINGLE track to be used for stereo tracks. But you have to import the audio and then cut them into the tracks in the project. Converting from FCP...which had two tracks for the stereo pair, will make them dual Mono. ANd then you just pan then Left and right.

But I think these are two separate issues. Dealing with audio on the timeline while editing...Stereo SFX and Stereo music... but then the need to output to the specs you mentioned:

Our client asks an Apple Prores 422 HQ with this audio config:
- 5.1 SMPTE (in English)
- 5.1 SMPTE (in VO)
- 2.0 (Eng)
- 2.0 (VO)
- 2.0 (Music and Effects)

Outputting those specs is easy in all NLEs...you get the final mix from the audio mixer...or you make them yourself, and then you drop them as individual tracks onto an output timeline. Exported QT files will still have two tracks for each stereo element...one stereo right, the other stereo left. Even if you output from Resolve or Avid or Adobe.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]