PAL DV capture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Rick Neely
PAL DV capture
on Feb 7, 2020 at 2:15:27 pm

Hey guys,

Really going back old school on this one--

have a client with some PAL miniDV tapes. Premiere pro captured a few nicely, but the rest have timecode breaks galore, and research shows the old Final cut pro does a better job with tc breaks and dropped frames.

Soooo, installed FCP 6 on my older macbook running snow leopard. Launched software, chose easy setup for PAL DV and changed the audio sampling to 32kh. I have deck control (using Sony m15u i think it's called) and audio,...but no picture.

I have confirmed there is video on tape.

Any clues as to what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: PAL DV capture
on Feb 7, 2020 at 10:56:27 pm

You are sure it is PAL? Just for yucks, try an NTSC Easy Setup.

MAN, I'm giong to have to dig into my memory here...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rick Neely
Re: PAL DV capture
on Feb 8, 2020 at 1:22:29 am

Hey Shane,

yes it is PAL. I confirmed.

I think I got it working (to my satisfaction). The FCP capture settings were PAL DV (with a audio sampling change to 32 khz for audio to come thru. Matched the settings on my sony dv deck).

The workaround to get video was to switch deck control to 'non-controllable device'. That got me video and I disabled all the settings to stop capture on dropped frames, tc break; etc in user preferences (yes, it's been awhile). then just 'capture now' and manually stop.

For my purposes, simply converting pal dv to digital quicktime movie file, this works for me (did try this in Premiere Pro but kept hiccuping on TC and signal breaks.)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]