FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 to X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Lawrence Gray
FCP 7 to X
on Oct 11, 2019 at 4:00:07 am

Hi.

I've got an six year old project with all its files in FC 7 that I need to get back into for a re-edit with a new sound track etc etc... however, none of my machines now run FC 7 and so I can't output an XML file... Is there any way i can both re-constitute the FC 7 project files and then create an XML file ready to convert to FCP X without running FC 7?

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: FCP 7 to X
on Oct 11, 2019 at 4:48:16 pm

I've used SendtoX with great success, but you need FCP7 to export an XML. If you already have an XML created from FCP7, send it my way and I'll run it through SendtoX and send it back to you.

Warren Eig
O (424) 293-1164

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 13, 2019 at 2:59:18 am

and if you don't have FCP7, i can make the XML for you.
nickm(at)bigpond(dot)net(dot)au

Return to posts index

Lawrence Gray
on Oct 13, 2019 at 4:13:18 am

I'm in Johor Bahru in Malaysia.. I assume it's possible for me to just send you a project file without any of the assets and then I read the XML into my FCP X and embark upon the rather laborious attempt to reconstitute the time line from within FCP X? Not an easy task. I dumped stuff onto various drives seven years ago when a big drive was 500 gig at the most. I'm hoping they haven't rusted over!

I did read an alarming piece of news that Logic Pro users were having a hard time because XML files were no longer working on Catalina! I haven't heard whether they work or not on FCP X on Catalina. I have a Mojave machine and a Catalina machine so it's not necessarily a problem but...

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 13, 2019 at 4:20:49 am

hi Lawrence.
i don't know abt Logic,
but XMLs are XMLs as far as FCP and most NLEs i think. (???)
it's alarming how quickly computer stuff goes out of date

if you do send your FCP project, zip it first,
it'll shrink to a 10th of its size and be better for email.
just right-click and choose zip or compress.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 13, 2019 at 4:21:33 am

and i guess we should discuss if you need the whole project, or specific sequences?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Gray
on Oct 13, 2019 at 10:03:03 am

It's the whole project... feature length.

I'll have to work out which of the project files will give me the cut that I want to work on the re-edit with.

I'm assuming turning it into an XML before reconnecting all the assets works. It'll be a while before I can find the actual file! I've got identical files on several disks... identical but different! There were renders of renders of renders incorporated in fine tune edits. I need to get back to an earlier edit, but one with colour corrections already done... So it might be some time before I figure this out.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 13, 2019 at 12:01:08 pm

hmm.. sounds like you really need FCP7 just to figure out the what and where of your project.
might be worth finding someone over there who has it?
i could possibly find time to open them up and have a look.
but tricky via remote.

nick

Return to posts index

Lawrence Gray
on Oct 13, 2019 at 4:17:28 am

Thanks. I've got sendtoX... it's the realisation that FCP 7 now doesn't work on any of the three machines I have! My old MacBook pro simply refuses to boot up despite it being mothballed seven years ago... I guess mould or something has rotten a few connections.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]