FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Spinning Wheel" of moving images..?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Wheaton
"Spinning Wheel" of moving images..?
on May 30, 2019 at 11:31:44 am

G'day,

Long time reader, first time poster. FCP7 user here, having learned FCP5 at Griffth Film School here in Australia back in '06/'07.

I want to try to achieve an effect that I describe as a "spinning wheel" containing multiple short clips of footage... picture a cheese wheel ,that you are viewing from the outside edge of the wheel, so to speak...? (I swear it was all the rage during the 80's/90's - which fits my theme.) (Like - a rotating cube effect, with a different image on each side, but - round.)

The "curl" filter kind of almost vaguely does it, but - not.

I'm hoping there's an option other than manually using distort points and shuffling each image across the screen...??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Travis
aka thecosmichobo / youtube

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: "Spinning Wheel" of moving images..?
on May 30, 2019 at 4:45:26 pm

Sorry, but software that's been essentially dead for nearly eight years isn't the right tool for the job.

One good tool would be Adobe After Effects. It comes with a very steep learning curve.

Another one MIGHT be Apple Motion -- but I haven't used that in 7 years, and I forgot most of it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Travis Wheaton
on May 31, 2019 at 9:07:15 am

I appreciate that Apple replaced FCP7 some 8 years ago, but it's what I have. FCP7 would also, in its day, have been more than capable of completing the task I am asking of it. And that's why I'm asking the question here in the Legacy FCP section.

Looking at the built in Cube Spin transition, it goes very close to doing what I am after - except the fact that there's no "curvature" of the image. If I have to manually manipulate the images to achieve the effect I will, but if it's something that someone's done before - either manually too (with some pointers) or if someone knows of a plug-in out there - I'd love to hear about it.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 31, 2019 at 6:23:45 pm

hi travis,

I'm pretty sure i know the effect you're after,
but i can't remember seeing any plugins for FCP that could do that.
possibly one of the German companies: CHV or CGM, had something along these lines.
its definitely a 3rd party thing - nothing in FCP itself would do it i reckon.

nick

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 31, 2019 at 7:40:43 pm

I had just about every plugin package made for FCP 7, and I don't recall seeing that. Anyway, if it DID exist, not sure you'd be able to find it. Not many people will keep selling plugins for an edit system discontinued 9 years ago.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Travis Wheaton
on Jun 1, 2019 at 1:22:25 am

Hi Shane and Nick,

Thanks for the replies! I've had a bit of a look at a few sites with legacy plugins... Couldn't spot the effect I'm looking for. At this point I've decided to move on - going for a "flat" piece-o-pie type spinning wheel instead. More akin to my original concept anyways - if not as adventurous.

Cheers

Travis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]