FORUMS: list search recent posts

old QT movie won't open, says "converting": Apple compressor for FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
old QT movie won't open, says "converting": Apple compressor for FCP7?
on May 14, 2019 at 3:47:12 pm

Hi,

I have an old quicktime movie file, from over a decade ago. It won't open. Everytime i click on it it says "converting" with a progress bar. But it never finishes converting, just gets stuck. I have 2 of these types of files from different times, and neither opens, so i know it's not corrupted.

I want to use this movie file in an FCP7 project. Rather than just find an app that can play this file, i'd rather just go straight into transcoding it for FCP7.
I do all my transcoding with Apple Compressor and it works great! But i don't know how to transcode this particular movie file.
PLease let me know, thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: old QT movie won't open, says "converting": Apple compressor for FCP7?
on May 14, 2019 at 11:55:29 pm

What is the codec of that file?

And ever since Mac OS...hmm...10.9 or 10.8, if a QT file wasn't ProRes or H.264 or some other MP4 type, The OS and QT couldn't open it natively, it had to convert it to H.264 to open it. Because Apple dropped a lot of support for QT in order to move ahead with a different format, AV Foundation.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 15, 2019 at 12:12:39 am

Is it also possible it is a reference file not self contained? If so it might be looking for missing media.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on May 15, 2019 at 2:43:36 am

Hi Raju,
How recent is your Compressor software? Educator Larry Jordan and Apple have been warning us that ProRes and QT files won't be openable in Mac OS versions after Mojave ( OS 10.14) because Apple will be switching to exclusively 64-bit software. (I don't understand exactly what they mean.) Apple's iMovie is prompting me for an update but "warning" that the software will seek out old movie files and "automatically" convert them. If you have a very up-to-date Compressor I wonder if the software is trying to convert your file to 64 bit. I'm not updating iMovie because it's unclear what kind of files it will try to convert, and I'll try to avoid Apple software going forward. I don't use Compressor or FCPX or iMovie anyway.
Good luck . . .

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]