FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to selectively remove Video attributes in Final Cut Pro 7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Ivey
How to selectively remove Video attributes in Final Cut Pro 7?
on May 4, 2019 at 11:17:03 am

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. I am using FCP7 and really just getting acquainted with navigation and etc. but catching on quickly.

One very simple task however has got me stumped and I cannot find an answer anywhere so I was hoping more advanced users here could help me out.

I have a single video clip that I've keyed against a green screen and applied an Image control filter. In the process of experimenting to see what and how other available filters work, I added a sharpening filter but didn't like the effect.

So I know how to remove all the attributes using the menu, but in this case I don't want to undo all the work I've done in the prior filters (keying, image balance and etc.); so I'd like to remove only the sharpening filter. But I can't figure out how to do that.

Is in even possible to selectively remove only a single or more filters from a video clip without affecting the others?

If not, it seems a bit counter productive in terms of creativity to force an all or nothing deal with this.

Anyone? Can you provide some helpful feedback and assistance please?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How to selectively remove Video attributes in Final Cut Pro 7?
on May 4, 2019 at 4:29:42 pm

Is there some compelling reason why you're using software whose support ended almost nine years ago -- which is a couple of lifetimes ago in the computer world?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Ivey
on May 4, 2019 at 5:00:29 pm

Lol.
Yes, actually there is. I purchased the software because I liked the overall layout and intuitive layout of FCP7 over FCPX and FCPX had just came out when I made that decision but I simply didn't like it.

I still don't care for it much and I'm not one to be forced into something I don't like simply because a corp says I should. Stubborn? Perhaps, but their decision to force pre-existing users to pay the full price for their new model just wreaked a bad taste for me.

So...... regarding my question, possible or no?

Return to posts index

Mark Ivey
on May 4, 2019 at 5:01:53 pm

Lol.
Yes, actually there is. I purchased the software because I liked the overall intuitive layout of FCP7 over FCPX and FCPX had just came out when I made that decision but I simply didn't like it.

I still don't care for it much and I'm not one to be forced into something I don't like simply because a corp says I should. Stubborn? Perhaps, but their decision to force pre-existing users to pay the full price for their new model just wreaked a bad taste for me.

So...... regarding my question, possible or no?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 4, 2019 at 5:07:53 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 4, 2019 at 5:10:20 pm

Here's a definitive answer -- maybe.

As a chroma keying file format, DV pretty much stinks. You can't transcode it to something better, because the damage was done when it was recoded -- whenever that was. You just have to play around with the keyer.

And if it wasn't shot and lit for chroma key, the problems mount.

Sorry to be so non-cheery, but without a lot more information about media container, codecs, and perhaps a representative screen shot, there isn't much else to say except to mess with the key.

Oh, and if you're successfully running FCP7 on your machine, know that you can't update your hardware or OS. Poof! You have a Legacy Machine to go along with your Legacy Software.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Ivey
on May 4, 2019 at 6:43:22 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I'm running Sierra and have both Motion 4 and 5 installed working seamlessly with FCP7. I doubt I'll seriously considering upgrading the OS anytime soon but should I desire, I also have VM Ware Fusion so I will still be able to retain my legacy software functionality with an upgraded OS.

But with respect to the question. I think maybe I didn't explain it thoroughly. The main question is simply "Can I remove a single filter attribute without removing all of them?"

I only provided the green screen keyer and image control filters as an example. The question really had nothing to do with the functionality of the filter.

So allow me to re-phrase. If I apply "any" combination of "any" filters to a video clip and determine that I'd like to remove "any one" of them; Is there a way to do that?

Presently the only way I know to remove a video filter from a clip is right-click the clip and select "remove attributes". Then I can check filters in the attribute listings. BUT that action removes every filter on the clip causing me to loose every filter including the ones I may potentially want to keep.

That requires me to re-apply the filters that I wanted and subsequently tweak the settings all over again for each filter. Which seems quite counter-productive when all I really wanted to do was to remove 1 filter from the group.

Is that clearer?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 5, 2019 at 9:15:02 am

Simple answer is no - you cannot remove just one filter from a bunch on many clips, other than one by one within the program. If you are really tech savvy you might try exporting an XML, edit the XML to remove the attributes of a single filter and reimport the XML into FCP but that may cause other attributes or plugins to not translate.

If you were doing this in Resolve ( a much more up to date software with similar methodology to FCP7 but with vastly better performance, grading, VFX and sound), you can do it by grouping shots to add a filter via a node and enable disable the node to turn it on and off multiple clips. They also have the ability to add an effect as an adjustment layer which can be edited like a clip. Honestly, Resolve is like FCP7 thrust into the world of modern codecs and performance. Oh and it is free unless you want a few of the advanced features but free if you just want something just much better than FCP7.

Return to posts index

Mark Ivey
on May 5, 2019 at 9:25:21 am

Thanks Michael for the simple answer, that wasn't the answer I'd hoped for but nonetheless you answered the question clearly.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 5, 2019 at 9:29:43 am

A lot of people hung onto FCP7 because of the way it works but it has had its day and software like Resolve give you a much better experience. I used to use it to grade and the way filters worked was clunky. I was glad that Color came along but there were always issues round tripping. But in the last eight years things have moved on and modern software makes FCP7 now totally obsolete. You can export an xml and pick up your edit in Resolve or Premiere but keys and grade will need to be done. Mind you the chroma keying and grading in Resolve and Premiere blow away anything FCP7 could do.

Return to posts index

Mark Ivey
on May 5, 2019 at 9:56:59 am

You make valid points and I took a peek at Resolve after your post. It really looks like a very intuitive product with nice features so I'm considering a purchase but it won't be anytime soon.

But unfortunately, I recently spent $400 on Primatte Keyer and love the results I've gotten so far. So spending another $300 for yet a different product that the Primatte Keyer won't work with simply isn't a viable option right now. Honestly, if I threw out money everytime a new recommendation was given to me I'd be bleeding $$$ endlessly.

Not to dispute the worth of your recommendation and it's greatly appreciated, just that the timing is bad this time.

As an example, I also do Audio Production and have done that far longer than Video Production and I've found myself caught up without second thinking in purchasing a plethora of audio plugins simply by virtue of recommendations for the latest and greatest; in combination with shrewd marketing strategies of many of the companies that make them. As a result, I have more than 1 plugin for EQ, more than 1 for compression and etc. Sometimes that can be a good thing because 1 may excel in one capacity and not do so well in another. But more oft than not, it's making the companies richer and I haven't gained much except for making bad decisions and throwing out a lot of money.

As far as FCP7 and to drive home my point; I run Cubase as my Audio DAW. Do you know that Cubase has been around since 1989??

That is literally 30 years and I'm still using it today. It has consistently kept pace with every single OS version that has ever come out by virtue of upgrading its version history to retain compatibility. That is a smart and logical way to do business and build a loyal customer base and relationship.

I gladly pay the upgrade fees because they're minimal in cost and infrequent based only on need and most importantly; I don't have to be concerned that any of my pre-existing projects will work with the new versions.

Maybe all this may be a moot point but hopefully you get the picture of what I'm saying.

So anyway, I do appreciate the answer and equally the recommendation which I will def consider. But considering the money I've already spent; it's not going to happen anytime soon. I'm not a money bag for vendors too dip into. 😉 Lol

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on May 5, 2019 at 10:10:26 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on May 5, 2019 at 10:20:44 am

Yes I remember when Cubase came out. I had pioneered digital audio location recording in 1984 and was using a combination of PCM encoders with Umatic machines and timecode locked MIDI sequencers on the Atari with samplers before 1989. I went with dSP which became Fairlight and Fairlight has been bought and integrated into Resolve. So I'm using the same systems albeit morphed by different owners.

There is a free Resolve which has Fusion integrated. So you can dip your toe for nothing and you get Fairlight which might be the successor to your Cubase system if you want to go to the next level with audio post too.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on May 5, 2019 at 4:00:44 pm

hi Mark

actually yes, it's very easy to remove one filter from a clip.
open the clip to the viewer,
go to the filters tab,
select the one you don't want, and hit Delete.

Michael is saying it's not possible to do this en-masse without using XML editing tools,
which is true, but there are ways to make it simpler.

1. with the viewer selected, you can hit the down button, and you'll jump to the next clip is in the timeline, but remain in the viewer
the viewer will remain on whatever tab is selected, making you can jump from one clips' filter tab to the next,
you'd still have to select the filter you don't want and hit delete,
but you don't have to double click each clip into the viewer.

2. if all your filters have the same settings across all the clips,
you could open the first clip, delete the unwanted filter,
copy that clip in the timeline,
select all other clips the timeline, remove all filters,
and then Paste Attributes > Filters.

hope that gives you some ideas.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Mark Ivey
on May 5, 2019 at 4:15:15 pm

Ahh yes!!

Thank you so much for that! I tried hitting the delete key and it didn't work which had me puzzled that such a simple task wouldn't be possible. I know the software has been dated but that just seemed like too simple of a task for even an outdated pro software not to have.

After reading your post, I went back and realized that I hadn't actually "selected" the filter properly. I just had expanded the filter I wanted to delete and so the delete didn't work. Hidden in plain site only to an idiot which I now feel I've played an adequate part. 😊

Michael's post was still very helpful as well but your answer nailed it.

Thank you!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]