FORUMS: list search recent posts

samsung s9+ video footage to be edited in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
samsung s9+ video footage to be edited in FCP7
on Apr 2, 2019 at 12:14:12 am

Hi, my footage off the samsung phone is h.264, HD 1920 by 1080, 59.04 fps.

Of course when i drop this into a fresh FCP7 timeline, it says "error", so it won't even attempt to create the proper sequence settings for this footage.

I want to know how to transcode this. I am using apple compressor, which has always worked very well for me.
Do i need to transcode to Prores for this? Or can i pick a different format to transcode to? BTW, the footage was shot in portrait mode, not landscape.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: samsung s9+ video footage to be edited in FCP7
on Apr 2, 2019 at 3:49:20 am

[raju bhai] "...my footage off the samsung phone is h.264, HD 1920 by 1080, 59.04 fps. "

Don't use it. It will never, EVER be right in FCP7.

You shot in a variable frame rate. This is indicated by the bizarre frame rate. Variable frame rates weren't even invented until a few years after FCP7 DIED. If you transcode this footage, you will notice tiny aberrations in the motion of the shot.

If you insist on shooting on a phone, you ABSOLUTELY MUST use an app that forces a phone camera to work like a video camera. An app that forces the camera to shoot in a standard, FIXED frame rate like 23.976, 24, 25 29.97, or 59.94.

The footage you shot is useless in FCP. Get an app for your phone and re-shoot. Don't use the garbage you already have.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Apr 2, 2019 at 3:04:34 pm

Thanks for info!
But i don't have the option to reshoot, I must use this footage.

But FORTUNATELY, my edit is very simple. All my footage is in one 2 minute clip and the only job I have to do is to cut a section out of the clip, that is all!
And I don't mind if there are tiny aberrations.

Given these circumstances, can you recommend a way to get this video into FCP7?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 2, 2019 at 4:58:10 pm

Transcode the clip to ProRes 422 in Apple CFompressor. DO NOT use anything other than Quicktime Movies in the ProRes 422 codec in FCP7. You will want to at least try the frame rate of 59.94 fps, but it may not work -- QT7 only knows about 1920 x 10 at 29.97 fps. You should definitely make a 29.97 clip.

Import the transcoded clip into FCP, trim, add to the timeline and export. I can't say if any audio that has to be synced will stay synced.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 2, 2019 at 4:44:47 pm

[raju bhai] "I want to know how to transcode this. I am using apple compressor, which has always worked very well for me."

There are presets in COMPRESSOR for ProRes. Use those. Just ProRes 422 will do. It's under the APPLE CODECS, but you can also search for the codecs in the little search bar at the top of the codec list.

[raju bhai] "Do i need to transcode to Prores for this? Or can i pick a different format to transcode to?"

Yes, ProRes. That's the best codec for this.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Apr 2, 2019 at 10:02:07 pm

OK THANKS,
I transcoded to PRORES 422 with Compressor. The only problem is that the video came out stretched horizontally.
I forgot to mention that this was filmed with the phone held vertically (taller than it is wide), not horizontally. I want to keep it like that. Any setting i should change in the Prores parameters so it exports vertical like the original?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 2, 2019 at 10:25:17 pm

It would be so much easier to use Resolve or Premiere which can work with this natively. Resolve has a free version which is capable of this.

Portrait can be edited in landscape and then reoriented.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]