FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro v. 6.0.6 and MAc OS High Sierra

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raul Alvarez
Final Cut Pro v. 6.0.6 and MAc OS High Sierra
on Mar 6, 2019 at 5:08:49 pm

Hi!
I feel like I'm the only soul in this planet still running Final Cut Pro v. 6.0.6 on my Mac BookPro (Retina 15" late 2013).
Up to now I was using it fine on Mac OS 10.9.5, BUT I just finally gave up on Apple's insisting pressure, and when upgrading to Mac OS High Sierra I found the terrible surprise that FCP is not supported anymore…
Could somebody kindly help with a way around it… is there a chance to continue using it?
I'll be much grateful for your help and advise.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Final Cut Pro v. 6.0.6 and MAc OS High Sierra
on Mar 6, 2019 at 5:49:42 pm

No!

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 6, 2019 at 7:43:49 pm

Sorry, the last OS to officially support FCP 6 was 10.5. The last to support FCP 7 was 10.6.8. Many components of FCS 3 (FCP 7) broke with 10.9.5. And Apple officially announced that FCP 7 would not work in Mojave, period. So I'm pretty sure that FCP 6 working in the previous OS, High Sierra, would be a pipe dream.

Sorry, but FCP 6 is over 10 years old...and with any software that old, the later the OS version, the more chance of that old software not working. If you rely on FCP 6 and need it to work, then you need to run it on a machine with an OS that supports it. Or at least a partition of a hard drive with an older OS, that you can boot too when needed.

The only way to get FCP 6 to work on that laptop now is to partition the hard drive and run an older OS on it. This might mean wiping the drive and doing everything from scratch...making the two partitions, installing the different OS versions on each partition, and then installing your apps. You MIGHT be able to partition the HD now to do that, but if it's very full, it won't really work. And honestly, you risk causing issues.

So...alas, if you want to run the older FCP 6, you need to run an older OS. If you need the newer OS for some things, then you need to have two partitions on this computer...or two separate computers. BUT, regardless, if you need FCP 6 to work, you need to start from scratch on it...install an older OS and reinstall the software. There's no way to install an older OS on the current computer...regress back.

Sorry.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Raul Alvarez
on Mar 6, 2019 at 7:53:08 pm

Hi Shane;

Thank you so much for your thorough response. I appreciate your time to explain in detail.

Be well, and all the best for you.

Raúl

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 7, 2019 at 3:59:02 pm

Raul, this is karma, telling you, it's time to move on. If finances are an issue, you might try DaVinci Resolve for free, it's pretty similar in feel to FCP-6/7.

I was where you are now, just about two weeks ago. My home setup was FCS3/ FCP-7 until this month. It was getting more and more impossible to work with. I resisted change as long as I could but had reached a crisis point. I nuked everything, and started afresh in Mojave with a new install of FCPX. I'm missing seven less every week, as FCPX has so much more capability, and is so much faster.

via GIPHY

Return to posts index

Raul Alvarez
on Mar 7, 2019 at 5:20:48 pm

Thanks Mark…
Yes indeed! "Renew or Die!"… I'm gradually swallowing the "Loss", and as with many other things in life, –and just like you wrote– simply move on and discover the new.

In 1997 I started with AVID and learnt it up to truly Love it, until 2006 when I HAD TO ($$$) switch to FCP.

Thank you so much for the tip of DaVinci Resolve. I'll take a look at it. Yes money is the issue for not much work happening…
I had thought about going back to AVID, or trying FCPX or Premier… so DaVinci might be a good option.

LOL !!! on "Sometimes Dead is better"… ;)))

Once again Thank you for your response, and all the best for you and your work ahead!

Raúl
--
"Land Awakening"
Exploring our relationship with the Land.
landawakening[dot]com
vimeo[dot]com/ondemand/LandAwakening

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]