FORUMS: list search recent posts

hdv capture issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Neely
hdv capture issues
on Feb 24, 2019 at 3:12:02 am

Hey guys,

huge quandry here. Have to capture some old HDV tapes and can't get the deck to initialize properly.

Here's the setup--

Mac Pro running El Capitan (10.11.6)

installed FCP 7 (no issues with install)

HDV deck is a sony m15u which IS recognized on the firewire channel in system profiler

HDV deck settings:
HDV/DV set to Auto
i-link set to OFF

Fire 4 pin to firewire 400 connector.

When I launch 'Log & Capture' I get--

'Device is not connected or the capture preset is not setup correctly. You may still log offline clips.
This might also happen if you play DV footage in an HDV device.'

I have tried rebooting software, changing preset, device control preset, trashing preferences, nothing is working. One last aside, I did test out the deck on premiere pro and it DID recognize the deck and image (just prefer to capture via FCP).

Any help would be great, PLEASE!

Rick

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: hdv capture issues
on Feb 24, 2019 at 5:24:26 am

You’re doing it wrong... Follow this tutorial: https://library.creativecow.net/articles/poisson_chris/hdv-prores.php.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist & Workflow Consultant
David Weiss Productions
Los Angeles

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Rick Neely
Re: hdv capture issues
on Feb 24, 2019 at 7:24:32 pm

David,

SUPER THANKS for this! The capture worked after following the tutorial. I think this updated workflow came out about a year after I last captured HDV content like this.

One more followup issue - I am now trying to export the footage as mp4 (one big file of the tape). I've tried to make a quicktime reference, quicktime self-contained, and compressor. All have failed either with 'i/o error' or 'quicktime error'. I've both tried trashing preferences and render the sequence (there are no other renders in manager).

Am I missing something else?

Rick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]