FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good bye Seven; we had fun, didn't we?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Good bye Seven; we had fun, didn't we?
on Feb 21, 2019 at 5:31:20 pm

It was an emotional weekend for me this past week. I finally pulled the trigger and nuked my entire home editing system for a ground-up re-build, upgrading the OS and erasing FCP7, DVDSP, and etc. to replace them with FCPX and updated Motion and Compressor.

So far, everything works and is fast and stable, and way more capable... The old FCP7 install was teetering on collapse, but I kept rationalizing reasons for holding off the upgrade. I'll really miss DVDSP, maybe more than the rest of the Suite, but then again, haven't had the need to author a fully-featured DVD in years either at work or home. But when I clicked the "OK" to begin the erasure, it felt like putting down the family pet.

I still have one last FCP7 / DVDSP system at the office, in a "bell Jar" installation, kind of as a backup. When that system gets removed, I may have to take the week off. I think I'll boot it up today... just to check on it, you know....

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Good bye Seven; we had fun, didn't we?
on Feb 21, 2019 at 5:34:17 pm

Alternate interpretation of events...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 21, 2019 at 8:28:17 pm

That IKEA commercial always cracked me up.

Well, I keep a legacy system around JUST IN CASE (happen to need to use it about once a year)...and for things like making DVDs. Plus I have a 16TB RAID 5 Caldigit setup that only works on this machine, so it's relegated to archive duties as well. I'll keep that until the machine (2008 MacPro) goes belly up. And when clients stop asking for DVDs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 21, 2019 at 8:33:44 pm

This week Samsung said they're going to stop making BluRay Players. I'm disappointed by that a little: using h265, you can really cram a LOT of archival onto a piece of sturdy, physical media. I think BluRay was to overpriced versus DVD when it came out and most people didn't really get the value proposition. I know folks that have multiple, Bluplayers that have only ever used them for their streaming functionality.

h265 came out too late to save DVD as well. But I'm not convinced everything belongs exclusively in the cloud yet.

If they stop making Zagnut bars, I will not be responsible for my actions.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 23, 2019 at 9:54:51 pm

I pulled out my mothballed MacPro 2009 with an intact Final Cut Studio 7 on Snow Leopard a few weeks back. A friend had asked if anyone had an old MacPro as his power supply had died so I pulled mine out and fired it up to check all was still well before sending it to him for parts. Within half an hour the power supply in mine died.

So that was it. Back in the cupboard and unless I bother to get a replacement power supply, that is the end of that era. I was only keeping the computer in the now rare instance that an editor needed me to fire up mine before getting xmls and OMFs out for grade & mix in Resolve which has been my main software for five years. But there are still people using it out in the wild.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 25, 2019 at 3:12:49 pm

"Will I dream?"

Return to posts index

Jon Burns
on Feb 26, 2019 at 11:05:07 pm

Hey guys I'm in a bind---I too took the plunge about 2 years ago to FCPX and haven't looked back--Mark you're gonna love it. I kept an old legacy system around JUST IN CASE I needed to access an old FCP7 project.....which I do right now. So I went to boot it up and of course my old legacy system no longer works! Sooooo.....any chance I could email one of you guys the project to open and export an xml for me? I'd be very appreciative!

jb

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 27, 2019 at 5:14:43 pm

Sorry, I can't take outside jobs on my day job system, and as you know from my first post, my old 7-based suite is now gone.

I kinda wonder if I should sell the boxed set of my old 7-suite to someone who has even more trouble letting go than I do:-)

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 1, 2019 at 11:26:14 am

hi Jon,

you can mail your project to me at
nickm (at) bigpond (dot) new (dot) au.

I'm right now (goofing off from) cutting a feature on FCP7!
with another one later in the year a possibility
not sure how long i can keep it going!

hardware is a 2015 iMac w Yosemite as OS.
we burnt a DVD today too! - they want it for playback in a scene. don't ask me why, but thats what they want.

my old 2011 iMac died just before the shoot, so i got a second 2015 retina refurb for my assistant.
my 2008 MacPro is dead ☹
but my 2012 Macbook Pro is holding on - and used for rushes screenings!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 3, 2019 at 5:58:49 am

You might be the last person to cut a feature on Legend! Onya Nick

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 4, 2019 at 11:52:33 pm

thanks Michael, i think i was the last one on a Steenbeck too!
(in Sydney at least)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 5, 2019 at 1:36:21 am

I love the fact that Gerry Hambling was still cutting on a Moviola until 2003. He's set the bar high for you Nick.

http://alanparker.com/essay/gerry-hambling-obituary/ . I loved the chance to talk to Gerry about his craft at the wedding of his son Robert to my cousin Adrienne.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 6, 2019 at 11:09:53 am

indeed he did! i can't beat that ☺
you're lucky you got to meet him.

Return to posts index

Philip Howe
on Mar 16, 2019 at 3:22:47 pm

When was that Nick?
I had an 8 plate Steenbeck that I shipped with me to cut feature dramas and docos - last was either Constance in NZ or Boundaries in Sydney. Mid 80s?
The sadness of losing them was equal to losing FCP7.
I have a full system - MacPro 2012 14Tbs esata with Sony and Panasonic feed machines. As well as a part completed film I had to put aside while fighting the Reaper.
350 hrs shot! Various versions of cuts in 7.
I didn’t want to move OS or FCP in case those awful change gremlins popped up.
I’m intrigued to find you all talking about this.
I was going to move to Resolve, I didn’t enjoy X when I tried it but the past 5 years have changed my thoughts.
All the best

philip

Return to posts index

Jon Burns
on Mar 4, 2019 at 11:22:33 pm

Hey Nick THANK YOU so much for helping me out. I just tried sending the file to the email you gave me and it bounced......"nickm (at) bigpond (dot) new (dot) au". Any ideas?

jb

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 4, 2019 at 11:47:40 pm

oops sorry, that should be

nickm (at) bigpond (dot) net (dot) au

so "net" not "new"

n

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]