FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need to de-interlace?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Hawco
Do I need to de-interlace?
on Jan 16, 2019 at 9:42:10 pm

Hi All,

I'm working on a new video project in FCP 7. Most of the footage was shot on a Sony VX1000 (SD 480, 60i) but I also have some Super 8 for cut shots (1080P HD Scan, 24 fps, ProRes 422).

I captured the VX1000 footage via firewire using the DV-NTSC 32 KHz settings which gives the following: 720x480, 29.97 fps, DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 32 KHz, NTSC - CCIR 601. I matched my sequence settings to this.

My question is do I need to de-interlace my VX1000 footage before editing? If so, what is the best method?

I don't want to de-interlace the whole timeline during export as I feel this will affect the Super 8 clips because they are progressive.

Final output is to SD DVD and Vimeo for web streaming via Compressor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jared

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Do I need to de-interlace?
on Jan 17, 2019 at 1:13:34 am

[Jared Hawco] "My question is do I need to de-interlace my VX1000 footage before editing? If so, what is the best method?"

Well, where will this be seen? TV? WEB? If on TV, even if from a DVD or BluRay...that would be fine as interlaced, as TVs show interlacing. However, if on the web, then you need to deinterlace. Man, the best deinterlacer out there might not be out there anymore, as FCP 7 has been DOA for 8 years now. It was the Nattress Deinterlacer, part of a pack of his.

[Jared Hawco] "
I don't want to de-interlace the whole timeline during export as I feel this will affect the Super 8 clips because they are progressive."

It won't affect them at all...as they are progressive. But having 29.97 footage and 23.98 footage mixed...the best way to mix 23.98 as 29.97 is to have it in an interlaced project. However, FCP doesn't add the proper 3:2 pulldown to make it look right. Unless....again...you had a Nattress plugin.

[Jared Hawco] "Final output is to SD DVD and Vimeo for web streaming via Compressor. Any help is greatly appreciated."

OH, didn't see this when I started. Interlacing is fine for the DVD, but web streaming, it's not. So might have to deinterlace just to be safe.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 17, 2019 at 7:33:33 am

[Jared Hawco] "I don't want to de-interlace the whole timeline during export"

my advice is to export the entire timeline,
then re-import and de-interlace.

the main reason i do this is that i generally have a fair few motion effects,
and even after you de-interlace a shot or clip, the MOTION is still interlaced, and can look weird.

and if you are still on FCP7, then yes, as Shane says, you are able to use one of the best de-intelace plugins around.
if it's not still on the market, you could contact Graeme Nattress,directly, and see what you can arrange
http://www.nattressplugins.com/#home

your frame-rate mis-match is certainly worth doing further research on, too.
I'm from PAL land, and cant help there, sorry

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Jared Hawco
on Jan 17, 2019 at 11:55:34 pm

I was able to contact Graeme and get the Nattress Deinterlacer plugins. This will be mostly viewed on the web, so I'll try out the various plugins and settings on the VX1000 clips for sure.

What is the Nattress plugin called that deals with the 3:2 pulldown for the 24 fps clips? Perhaps I could get that as well.

I understand mixing 24 fps clips into a 30 fps timeline isn't technically correct and that FCP duplicates some frames, but I'm fine with the results I've gotten.

I've also been thinking about if I need to convert the VX1000 video codecs to ProRes 422 to match the Super 8 clips?? I've tried converting some clips in MPEG Streamclip and Quick Time 7 with poor results

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
Jared

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 18, 2019 at 12:20:34 am

I would seriously heed Nick's advice and create an interlaced version for the DVD. If you deinterlace and then reinterlace for the DVD you are losing resolution. 29.97 DVDs are interlaced.

Taking the interlaced output back in as a finished file and then using the Nattress deinterlacer on the complete file for the web version is the best way to get maximum results for both uses.

Return to posts index

Jared Hawco
on Jan 18, 2019 at 12:39:33 am

When you say create an interlaced version for the DVD, do you mean continue to edit the interlaced clips as they are in the 29.97 fps timeline? Or do you mean create a 60i 59.94 fps timeline??

I intended to do the master edit in the SD DVD format and then export that and convert for web streaming as you say.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 18, 2019 at 2:34:55 am

What are your timeline settings? p or i?

Return to posts index

Jared Hawco
on Jan 18, 2019 at 8:36:23 pm

Well, I'm not suite sure. My sequence settings match the VX1000 clips as per my original post (720x480, 29.97 fps, DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 32 KHz, NTSC - CCIR 601). I don't see any fields under Sequence Settings that say whether or not the timeline is progressive or interlaced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]