FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 to Premiere Pro CC 2018

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tudor Applen
FCP 7 to Premiere Pro CC 2018
on Oct 11, 2018 at 3:22:23 am

So I have this ancient project from more than a decade ago. Back in 2009, I got dis-heartened and didn't complete a personal project despite a huge investment.

Fast forward to now... My wife wants to finish the project. But FCP 7 and my old mac are too ancient and slow. I want to work in the new Premiere and to learn it. (I'm an Avid guy, and FCP 7.) Problem is, despite using the XML export/import, the media is too old for the new Premiere. Adobe ditched QuickTime 7 movies, I'm to learn.

Anyway, I want to keep my old work/FCP project & sequence, but I can't relink to old media, apparently, in the new Premiere. Premiere CC 2018 won't even see the old QuickTime files when "locating" in an attempt to re-link. I DID try converting QT files to AVI, and to MP4, but the re-linking didn't work.

Anyone have this challenge and a solution?

Tudor Applen

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP 7 to Premiere Pro CC 2018
on Oct 11, 2018 at 11:37:40 am

Try the xml in Resolve. It imports the same FCP xml as Pr. Quicktime is dead but quicktime files should be able to be read by Resolve and I would have thought Pr as well.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 11, 2018 at 11:38:18 am

Curious what was the codec of the FCP project?

Return to posts index

Tudor Applen
on Oct 11, 2018 at 11:37:18 pm

DVCPRO. Thanks for your help!

Tudor Applen

Return to posts index

Matthew Ross
on Oct 11, 2018 at 1:05:12 pm

[Tudor Applen] "I DID try converting QT files to AVI, and to MP4, but the re-linking didn't work. "

Instead of transcoding to AVI or MP4, try keeping the files Quicktime, but instead of whatever the original codec is, convert to a codec that Premiere still supports. So you could have .MOV files with something like DNxHD/HR, Cineform, or ProRes (if you can still transcode on a Mac). There is a list of codecs that Premiere will still support inside of Quicktime here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/quicktime7-support-dropped.html

Return to posts index

Tudor Applen
on Oct 11, 2018 at 11:41:16 pm

Thanks for the idea! I'm rummaging around for a compressor that will see these old DVCPro files (2004), but I'm having a little difficulty.

Tudor Applen

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 11, 2018 at 11:48:05 pm

Resolve is free and can be used to batch convert DVCPro to DNx or ProRes (on a Mac) or it can be used to do the edit without transcoding as it reads DVCPro files.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 12, 2018 at 11:47:09 am

you seem to still have FCP, so you can use that to transcode to Prores.
you could media manage from with your project/s
or just make a new project to media manage from,
or use Resolve.

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 17, 2018 at 8:58:58 pm

Apple Compressor should be able to convert the DVC Pro in batches. MPEG Streamclip can do them one by one but it's free. But I think Mojave may have killed it.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 19, 2018 at 12:18:46 am

Mpeg Streamclip can work in batch BUT it will strip all the metadata from the files so is not recommended.
Compressor *should * keep it.
Media Manager will defiantly keep it AND update your sequences to the new format should you want that.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]