COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hope Holmesby
fcp 7 - Export: Quicktime Movie not working
on Oct 2, 2018 at 9:40:23 pm

Hi...thanks for reading

I have been using Export : Quicktime Movie
to export for years

Now all of a sudden it is not working. produces a file that has to be 'converted' (I am on a mac). (an will not open in in VLC player). Never did that before.

Now today, only 'qt conversion' export will work. Tried deleted all files from it and only the video clip was left. Still would not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much...

Warmly, Hope

Life is here to enjoy. The purpose of life is the expansion of happiness. Nothing to take seriously in life except the joy of life.

iMac 3.5 GHz Intel Quad Core i7, 2TB (Mid 2011)
1 Processor (four real cores and four virtual ones)
Mac OS 10.9
16 GB RAM
After Effects CS5.5, Sound Track Pro 3.0.1, Final Cut Pro 7.0.3, Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: fcp 7 - Export: Quicktime Movie not working
on Oct 2, 2018 at 10:38:32 pm

What OS are you running? Later OS versions cripple QT's ability to read several types of codecs natively...and want to convert them in order to play them. Only ProRes and H.264 play natively in QT anymore. I see that you are cutting and outputting PHOTO JPEG...yeah, that's one it won't play back without converting.

But not open in VLC player? Hmmm

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Oct 2, 2018 at 11:58:29 pm

Hi...thank you for your answer...Mavericks OS.

so h.264 and pro res only work now w fcp 7 and quicktime..

it was working this past year.....

hmmm

wow, so sad...
yeah, not open in vlc and the file size is about 61MB, which seems odd, should be more like 700MB.

Life is here to enjoy. The purpose of life is the expansion of happiness. Nothing to take seriously in life except the joy of life.

Mac OS 10.9
16 GB RAM
After Effects CS5.5, Sound Track Pro 3.0.1, Final Cut Pro 7.0.3, Compressor 3.5.3

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 3, 2018 at 1:52:51 am

[Hope Holmesby] "so h.264 and pro res only work now w fcp 7 and quicktime.."

No...H.264 never really worked with FCP 7. It seemed like it might, but sync issues were rampant. Always needed to convert to a FCP 7 editing codec.

NOW..for QT...yeah, that's the issue. Apple is phasing out QT, and so they have been making things not work. QTX was never ever fully featured...it was LESS featured than QT 7. But even that, in later OS versions, couldn't read some codecs, and neeeded to convert them.

If you want to continue to use FCP 7 fully featured, then you need to stick to the older OS versions. Every version made one thing or another stop working, and with High Sierra, support for FCS 3 was completely dropped.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Oct 3, 2018 at 2:14:24 am

Hi Shane,

You are very kind to take the time to answer this. Thank you for all your knowledge and expertise.

Ok, I just tried it out:

=== Export: Quicktime Movie

Used settings as above screen grab, except changed the Photo-Jpeg to h.264, and the 4 Apple Pro Res options. All of those did work. Nice icon for the movie and it opened.

The photojpeg export is definitely not working anymore....they must have upgraded Mavericks to not work with that codec.....sad face.....that is, with the 'export: qt movie' option......not opening in VLC either.

It does open in qt 7 player, but the export size was only 31MB for a 3min. video....not at all the usual. Would normally be about 800 MB in the past. Very odd.

=== Using this:

Export: qt conversion

it does work, and it is a file size of 1GB.

=== FCS 3 - cant run in hi sierra.......
I guess all the projects made w it will not work or open in the new fcx, either. One will have to recreate them in the new environment of fcx. hmmmm

I have one older computer as mentioned in the log under my name, and a new one....but have not started using it for such projects.....

Thanks again for all the tips. Greatly appreciate....

===BTW, what is replacing QT? What is the best codec for the web these days? the h.264?

Warmly, Hope

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 4, 2018 at 11:54:18 pm

"the file size is about 61MB, which seems odd, should be more like 700MB."
" the export size was only 31MB for a 3min. video....not at all the usual. Would normally be about 800 MB in the past"

this indicates to me that you are exporting as a REFERENCE FILE
you need to have "Make Movie Self Contained" checked
it's towards the bottom left and corner of the export window.

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Oct 5, 2018 at 1:27:40 am

[Nick Meyers] "this indicates to me that you are exporting as a REFERENCE FILE
you need to have "Make Movie Self Contained" checked
it's towards the bottom left and corner of the export window."

Wow, you are right, Nick, that did it...OMG !!!!! I had to check the 'Make self-contained movie' in the qt export window.

It was working recently, then now..not working. But that was the trick. I had uncheck or somehow that got unchecked. WOWOWOWOWOW.

Now it is 1GB file, and no 'converting' needed. Just amazing that this answer came. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and answer.

Brilliant. and Shane, thank you so much for your help too. Appreciate both!

Also,

Mac OS 10.9
16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 6, 2018 at 12:42:36 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Oct 6, 2018 at 12:56:42 am

Here's what "make movie self-contained" means -- it means you make a QT with ALL the necessary data needed to play it on any machine. Well, pretty much. You need a QT player.

NOW -- a reference QT movie is a collection of pointers to video files with an attached audio file. If you change the file path of the video files in any way... such as moving the file to another machine or moving the referenced video file to a different location.. the reference movie will not work.

Once you move a reference movie elsewhere or the video files elsewhere, QT doesn't know what to do. "Help! I can't find what I need to play this back! I'm not going to work!"

Reference movies are NOT good things to make in most circumstances. You are far better off making self-contained movies. If you make reference movies to save on storage, it's a sure indicator that you need more srorage.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hope Holmesby
on Oct 6, 2018 at 2:00:40 am

Hi Dave,

Always nice to hear from you.

Thank you for taking the time to write this up. You are very knowledgeable...charming explanation.

Yes, I didnt realize about the unchecked box for make self-contained movie.

I will always remember this lesson.

Hope all is well there in Iowa, ...the heartland...and at Fox and CBS (your 'about' on this forum)

And all the rest of you great great experts, who take the time to help us here on this forum. Very very kind heart and generous-spirited.

Warmly,
Hope

Mac OS 10.9
16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 9, 2018 at 2:44:23 am

Ma'am, I am always pleased to share what I've learned with you, a fine individual. I wish you well.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]