FORUMS: list search recent posts

capturing Canon HV-30 footage into FCP7 with Yosemite OS (10.10.5)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raju bhai
capturing Canon HV-30 footage into FCP7 with Yosemite OS (10.10.5)
on Sep 10, 2018 at 4:49:15 pm

Hi, I have a Canon HV-30 camera. I am trying to transfer the video footage to my late 2008 macbook running FCP7. But FCP7 won't recognize the Canon HV-30. My OS is Yosemite.
I haven't had any issues editing with FCP7 on Yosemite. But perhaps in regards to camera connections is where Yosemite and FCP7 don't work well together? Anybody know a way around this? Or if not, perhaps a free video capturing software i can use to capture the HV-30 footage into my macbook?
(And then from there i would just transcode it to prores to edit on FCP7)

Please let me know, thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: capturing Canon HV-30 footage into FCP7 with Yosemite OS (10.10.5)
on Sep 10, 2018 at 5:02:17 pm

In FCP, did you choose the Easy Setup of HDV? And how are you connecting the camera to the computer? Those cameras want to be connected via Firewire 400. Might I assume you have a newer computer that lacks this old old connection type? Because adapters typically don't work for things like this...converting FW400 to FW800 has worked for many, but to Thunderbolt or USB3..no, it doesn't work. So it won't be the OS, but rather the connection.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Rudy
on Sep 10, 2018 at 11:08:28 pm

I have tried this strange method since my Sony handycam wasn't recognized by FCP7. I imported the video files thru iMovie.. then , Go to the folder they're in and then import them into your FCP bin and they should work.

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Sep 11, 2018 at 4:09:20 pm

Alex,

Thanks. But the version of iMovie that is available on the app store is for a later version of OS than the one I am running, Yosemite.

Return to posts index

raju bhai
on Sep 11, 2018 at 4:07:25 pm

Thanks Shane,

My macbook is old enough that it does indeed have a FW400 port:-)

As far as HDV in Easy Setup goes, I know the video was shot 1080i
However, I don't know the frame rate. While i can choose "all rates" on the Easy Setup dialog box, there is a a dropdown called "Use" where i have to choose HDV-1080i with an accompanying frame rate. Not sure how to confirm on HV30 camera itself which frame rate my footage was already shot in since I know the settings on the camera were changed since then. I think it was shot 24 fps, but i can't be 100% sure.
Do u have any suggestions for this? Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 11, 2018 at 6:26:59 pm

The HDV format was pretty much...90% of the time...1080i60. 29.97fps. RARELY did you have a camera that would be able to shoot 23.98...it would be recorded at 1080i60, and you'd have to use a trick to get that extracted. But must cameras were 1080i60 (1080i 29.97)...so use that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]