FORUMS: list search recent posts

adding chapter markers within YouTube video manager

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Dennis Roliff
adding chapter markers within YouTube video manager
on Aug 17, 2018 at 3:00:11 pm

Hi all,

I run FCP 7 on an older Mac Pro desktop ( 2008 ). I do some videos for YouTube and a particular video that I produced recently of a piano recital, I added chapter markers so that there would be a 'scene selection' in the final DVD.
The client also wants me to upload the recital to YouTube. I don't know if YouTube will recognize the chapter markers from FCP ( perhaps they don't even show up in the video when 'exporting using quicktime conversion--->MPEG-4 ).
So my question is, can a person add chapter markers within the YouTube 'video manager'? I've done some research and a few older tutorials say that you can use 'annotations' to create chapter markers. I have found that the ability to create annotations hasn't been available since 2017.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Dennis

Dennis Roliff Photography
Vimeo

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: adding chapter markers within YouTube video manager
on Aug 30, 2018 at 5:56:05 pm

Chapter Markers are used to make DVDs. This sounds like something you'd do in YouTube.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dennis Roliff
on Aug 30, 2018 at 6:41:53 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the input. I have subsequently found out that within YouTube, you used to be able to create markers using the 'annotations' option. Unfortunately they have removed the option to do annotations. Oh well. There's probably a workaround but it's not that important at the moment.

Best,

Dennis

Vimeo

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 31, 2018 at 8:33:09 pm

I have an idea fora work-around.

If you right-click on a running YouTube video, you have options like;"copy this URL", which makes it easier to drop that into, say, a Facebook comment or whatever.

Another one of those right-click options is something like: "Copy URL at this point in the playback". Using this, if you were going to make a video comment in Facebook, for example, your clip would play from a specific spot instead of making the viewer just watch the entire clip, just to get to the interesting/relevant bit near the end, or asking them to scroll to a time index manually.

See where I'm going?

On the YouTube page for your recital is a section for Information about the video. You can copy/paste any number of these "cued-up urls into that area as a crude playlist and, being HTML links, they *should* (I'm guessing) function similarly to the basic chapter menus of a rudimentary DVD menu.

Or you can list the time indexes for all the start-points of the various acts on the recital in that spot as well, for people to manually scroll to. But getting there from a single click is neater, I think:-)

Another way to go is to make a specific YouTube channel, just for this recital... make a master clip of the entire recital, then upload the chapters separately and make a channel playlist of each individual clip. Now it works even more like a DVD menu... but that's more work for you. It does though have advantages, like control of being fully private, or just unlisted-private, etc. to somewhat restrict access. And you can work on/change individual pieces without losing the whole thing.

Return to posts index

Dennis Roliff
on Aug 31, 2018 at 9:27:18 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the input on your ideas for a workaround of my issue/question regarding putting chapter markers in a YouTube video. Excellent ideas, and things that I had not thought of before. I'll add these to my list of video 'workaround' techniques.

Really appreciate it.

Dennis

Vimeo

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]