FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I stop a macOs High Sierra update? I still need to use Final Cut Pro 7!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan Laidlaw
How can I stop a macOs High Sierra update? I still need to use Final Cut Pro 7!
on Jul 14, 2018 at 11:08:11 pm

Hello

I clicked on the macOS High Sierra Update thinking I would have an option to update or not but it started immediately downloading. I am sick about this, watching it download and reading how it will kill Final Cut Pro 7 projects, which I still need to use.

I had planned to transfer those projects over the next couple of months then upgrade.

Can I stop this upgrade somehow? Says it has 4 hours to go.

Return to posts index

Jan Laidlaw
Re: How can I stop a macOs High Sierra update? I still need to use Final Cut Pro 7!
on Jul 14, 2018 at 11:29:13 pm

Okay, I shut the computer down while downloading and it seemed to stop. Hopefully it won't try downloading again when I restart in future, I turned my internet off as well when I restarted just now. Will be more careful with pushing those buttons in future.

I am a bit hooped because I need those old projects but I also need to upgrade other software. Was trying to update garageband, but that wasn't working with El Capitan. I've already lost my older version of Motion, and that sucks, but losing Final Cut Pro 7 is really not an option right now because I am still using some of the projects. Is the only solution to have 2 separate computers, one for the old system, one for the new?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: How can I stop a macOs High Sierra update? I still need to use Final Cut Pro 7!
on Jul 15, 2018 at 6:09:26 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Jul 15, 2018 at 1:53:03 pm

Dual boot. Keep an old OS like Snow Leopard for FCP 7 and a more up to date OS for other apps. You can partition the two OS's or have two drives.

Return to posts index

Jan Laidlaw
on Jul 16, 2018 at 5:34:40 am

Dual booting sounds like a good idea. A bit over my tech expertise though. I'll see if I can find help to do this.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Jul 15, 2018 at 4:24:41 pm

I'm keeping a legacy computer that runs Mountain Lion and FCP7 and the first Pr CC version. Cause Larry Jordan says he does this. Dual boot sounds the the smart way.

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Jan Laidlaw
on Jul 16, 2018 at 5:35:55 am

I have a 2011 Macbook that runs really slowly. Maybe I could resurrect it for these purposes... Thank you.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jul 15, 2018 at 6:11:45 pm

You can download it and archive it. I did so I have it. Let it down load. When it launches to install just quit the application. CMD drag it out of the application folder to a place you want to archive it.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: info@babyboompictures.com
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/babyboompictures

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Jan Laidlaw
on Jul 16, 2018 at 5:39:31 am

That sounds like a good idea. I would hate to have bad timing and somehow stop it too late while it's installing. I've been so frustrated in the past with updates that kill some of my software.
Thanks for responding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]