FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I need to update software/hardware for downloading/editing smartphone videos?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Rosner
Do I need to update software/hardware for downloading/editing smartphone videos?
on May 24, 2018 at 9:46:17 pm

My business is mostly transferring old media (movies, videotape, photos, slides) to new media (memory sticks, YouTube, DVD, etc). I want to be able to download and edit videos from newer camcorders and smartphones(iphone and Android), which have HD, and deliver on new media as stated above, and keep in HD. The equipment I have is listed below, both desktop and laptop. Do I need to upgrade hardware, preferring the older MacPro models, and will I have software compatibility issues? I like having two monitors, and am used to FCP, but changes may be necessary.
Will the newest model of the old style MacPro (have not heard good things about current models), be worth the investment? Can I do this on a laptop with external memory and monitor? Will FCP 6 or 7 work? Please advise, trying not to break the bank, realize I may need to purchase additional software besides FCP.

Desktop :MacPro 1,1 (old), dual core Intel Xeon, processor speed 2.66GHz, 2 processors, 4 cores, 1.33GH Bus speed, 5GB memory
667 MHz MacOs X Version 10,6,8 FCP Studio (With FCP 6)
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170a ATI Radeon X1900 XT 2 ViewSonic VG2030wm monitors
4 Hard Drives 500 GB each
Laptop: MacBook Pro (13 inch,Mid 2012) 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor, memory 4GB 1600 MHz Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.4 500GB SATA disk

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Do I need to update software/hardware for downloading/editing smartphone videos?
on May 26, 2018 at 9:46:38 pm

If you want to edit current video formats, then you'll need more current software than something 8-10 years old. You might be able to get away with editing that video on FCP 6 or 7...but you'll need to convert that video first to ProRes. To do that...to connect the phone to the computer and offload it and convert it to ProRes...you'll need a newer OS, and newer apps to do this. And that might require newer hardware.

To edit those videos without converting them, you'll definitely need newer software and hardware...Premire Pro or FCX (although with Cel Phone video, you'll still need to "optimize" in FCX...and unless you have high end hardware to decode the video on the fly in Premiere...it's best to convert it to an editing codec.)

But I do think that you should update your hardware and software to something more current to stay with current workflows and camera formats. You'll be struggling to get work done with what you currently have. A more current iMac (2015 or so) and either FCX (one time purchase of $300....all updates free) or Premiere...which you rent for $80 a month (with ALL the other apps) or DaVinci Resolve (free for video up to HD, $300 for the ability to work with 4K or higher...but all updates free). WHICH one you choose is up to you...they all have trial periods, or are free...so you can see what you like best.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Larry Rosner
Re: Do I need to update software/hardware for downloading/editing smartphone videos?
on May 29, 2018 at 6:10:29 pm

Shane, Thank you for your reply. I will look into newer hardware/software. I was hoping to avoid having to learn new software. Is FCX same as FCPX, or does it refer to FCExpress? I hadn't thought about iMac, I'm not familiar with them, but thought they don't have means for expansion or changing cards if needed in the future. So I either go with the iMac, my current laptop , get a newer laptop (with external monitor), or will the a newer model of the old style MacPro tower give me the specs I need o run current OS and software? Hopefully I can get additional feedback to my inquiry. But I agree with you that its time to upgrade.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 29, 2018 at 10:44:41 pm

[Larry Rosner] "Is FCX same as FCPX, or does it refer to FCExpress? "

It's my shorthand for FCP-X. FCExpress was discontinued before FCP7, and I didn't recommend that to people when it was current. Habit of mine to leave out the "P"...bad habit.

[Larry Rosner] " I was hoping to avoid having to learn new software."

In terms of learning curve, going to Premiere Pro would be the shallowest learning curve...very easy to pick up.

[Larry Rosner] "I'm not familiar with them, but thought they don't have means for expansion or changing cards if needed in the future"

That's the issue with them, but then again, you don't have that option with the current MacPros either...no card slots. There are Thunderbolt RAIDS and Thunderbolt capture cards and thunderbolt external chassis for cards now...

[Larry Rosner] "or will the a newer model of the old style MacPro tower give me the specs I need o run current OS and software?"

I wouldn't recommend that. The MacPro came out 5 years ago...2013...and has really NOT been updated at all. So you'll be paying current day prices for a 5 year old machine. iMacs are more current...or current macBook Pros.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Larry Rosner
on May 30, 2018 at 2:28:05 pm

Thanks for follow up. I may switch to FCPX, but will try it on my current MacBook Pro. Its mid 2012, but appears to have the specs needed to run FCPX. I may need to get software to download Android phone files(photos and videos), and try things out with the FCPX 30 day trial with both iphone and Android files and HD from a camcorder. If it works, I'll purchase it after trial, and beef up laptop, if possible, and maybe add external memory and external monitor for ease of editing. Or buy more current laptop, which may be enough for my needs, or go with an iMac. Does FCPX enable chaptering, authoring, or do I copmpress than take that to my desktop to output?
Other question- for workflow, after converting to ProRes and doing editing, output to HD and put on thumb drive or external HD for client, or maybe youtube, vimeo, etc? Do people burn to DVD anymore, and what about HD issue? Would than need to burn Blue Ray, and that involves getting external Blue Ray burner, if possible? Still trying to figure things out since this is a complete shift in what I have been doing up till now. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 30, 2018 at 4:41:12 pm

[Larry Rosner] "Does FCPX enable chaptering, authoring, or do I copmpress than take that to my desktop to output?"

Sorry, FCX isn't in my wheelhouse, so I don't know.

[Larry Rosner] " after converting to ProRes and doing editing, output to HD and put on thumb drive or external HD for client, or maybe youtube, vimeo, etc?"

Up to the client. What do they want, where do they want it? Not a question for me, but for them.

[Larry Rosner] "Do people burn to DVD anymore,"

I do, but I also deal with clients with antiquated needs.

[Larry Rosner] " and what about HD issue? Would than need to burn Blue Ray, and that involves getting external Blue Ray burner, if possible?"

Yup, if they want an HD disk, it'll have to be BluRay. And Compressor will make a file for that, or FCX, or other software. But you can't have menu's and chapters like you did with DVD Studio Pro. Apple doesn't make software for that. Toast...not sure if they do. Most apps now just make a video that plays, but you should still be able to add chapter marks.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 6, 2018 at 4:16:03 pm

FCPX has the same barely updated DVD/Blu-Ray/AVCHD burning that FCP 7 had. Same simple backgrounds and minimal menuing with little control over the look. Good for client one offs. I believe chapters are used, but it's been awhile.

The usual client format for me is an mp4. There are lots of built in settings in FCPX or you can use Compressor to roll your own settings which will be accessible from FCPX share menu.

You can buy a small portable usb powered Blu-ray burner for next to nothing. I have one gathering lots of dust somewhere.

Outliner http://bretfx.com/product/outliner/
Clock Maker http://bretfx.com/product/bretfx-clock-maker/

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]