FORUMS: list search recent posts

quicktime export being cropped

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marten Berkman
quicktime export being cropped
on Apr 17, 2018 at 6:44:25 am
Last Edited By Marten Berkman on Apr 17, 2018 at 7:29:43 am

I am exporting an HD prores 422 sequence with Export > quicktime movie > current settings... and it is slightly cropped. Once I converted that prores file to an h264 file using Export as 1080p in QTX... and it was no longer cropped! I have tweaked the sequence, but cannot reproduce the un-cropped version... I always lose some pixels around the edges. This is a 3D piece so all pixels are essential to maintain proper depth.

Any suggestions how to ensure all pixels are accounted for when exporting, i.e. no cropping?

Return to posts index

Marten Berkman
Re: quicktime export being cropped
on Apr 17, 2018 at 7:56:55 am

ok, so I have since discovered that quicktime 7 will play back all pixels, quicktime 10 crops the image. I have tried saving "conform aperture to" different modes in quicktime 7, with no effect on how quicktime 10 plays it back.

how to play back in quicktime 10 without cropping?

Return to posts index

Marten Berkman
on Apr 17, 2018 at 8:09:23 am

Ironically, and confusingly, my first qt10 export from the original prores file, plays back with all pixels showing. But any subsequent qt10 exports crop the pixels.

Return to posts index

Marten Berkman
on Apr 17, 2018 at 8:33:03 am

well, I found exporting from qt10 for ipad, apple tv, played back all pixels in qt10, and also that VLC player would show all pixels in the 1080p mov file created by qt10, which qt10 would crop on playback.
All a mystery to me as to why, but at least I found a workaround. I'll leave this post up in case it helps anyone else.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Apr 17, 2018 at 4:41:25 pm

QTX is a bare bones, stripped down, unfinished app. It can't play any codec that isn't ProRes or H.264 without converting it...it's that bad. And Apple isn't developing it any further...QT is dead in their eyes, and they are making AV FOUNDATION the basis for FCX...but what they intend to use as a player, not sure. For now, it's still that stripped down QTX.

Use VLC for playback. QTX is garbage

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marten Berkman
on Apr 17, 2018 at 6:59:01 pm

Awesome, thanks Shane, appreciate the insight. VLC it is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]