FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes in fcp7 converted to H264 via Compressor magically changes edit points

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Smith
ProRes in fcp7 converted to H264 via Compressor magically changes edit points
on Mar 25, 2018 at 1:31:34 pm

Somehow the conversion extends clips by a few frames. Can't solve this puzzle.

In other words: I'm cutting director's reel. I got a bunch of edited clips with no handles one after the other. Sequence looks perfect in FCP7's timeline. Once converted to H264 I get a random frame before a clip pop up. Not completely random- it's the frame adjacent to the clip in the timeline. What's happening? That frame was edited out, it's not in FCP's timeline but it's showing up on H264. I'm not touching the framerate, all settings are 100% of source. Staying with 23.98.

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
Re: ProRes in fcp7 converted to H264 via Compressor magically changes edit points
on Mar 25, 2018 at 9:51:12 pm

Wow what happened to creative cow, there used to be traffic here 15 years ago. Guess social media killed it. Anybody here?!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: ProRes in fcp7 converted to H264 via Compressor magically changes edit points
on Mar 25, 2018 at 10:39:18 pm

Well, one thing, FCP 7 isn't used by many people anymore. It was discontinued 8 years ago...so this particular forum isn't viewed by many. Second, it's the weekend and we tend to enjoy our days instead of try to avoid work by posting here. But there are a few of us here...

OK... details. Is the footage you are cutting ProRes? Or did you export to ProRes first, and then to H.264? Just want to know what your source footage is. How did you encode to H.264...what was the process? Is there a frame rate mismatch issue? Meaning, is your sequence one frame rate and the source clips another?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Mar 25, 2018 at 11:39:10 pm

Hey Shane,

Thanks for the reply.

The footage was H264 2997 that I converted to 2398 ProRes via compressor to match the other 2398 prores footage in the timeline. Once the edit was locked all looked great in FCP7's timeline ( 2398 1280x720 prores footage ). Now once I send it to compressor to downconvert to H264 or ProRes LT to get it ready for Vimeo what comes out looks clean but it's not the same edit. It's a few frames off every time. I tried manually adding a few frames to the clips ( handles ) but somehow even that is not working. However if I just export the timeline footage as is it looks good ( but too big of a file being Pro Res 422 ). Maybe I should just try exporting the quicktime as is then manually dropping it into compressor... Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Mar 25, 2018 at 11:46:33 pm

Correction, exporting a self contained quicktime prores 422 file doesn't solve the problem either. I thought it did but the frames are off here as well. Footage only looks right on FCP's timeline.

In other words my big problem is this: I'm re-editing an old director's reel by adding new footage to the reel. So some of the older clips have no handles, in other words I'm working with a 3 sec shot that I need in the final reel. It looks great in FCP but once I export it I see a frame from a preceding scene ( that I cut out but it's showing up in the exported file ). Hope you followed all that.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 26, 2018 at 12:00:26 am

Hmmm...trash preferences? When FCP isn't acting like it should, one does that.

What OS are you running?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Mar 26, 2018 at 2:01:45 am

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 26, 2018 at 2:47:14 am

OK, that's the perfect OS for FCP 7. Try trashing preferences. look for PREFERENCE MANAGER by DIGITAL REBELLION that will do this with one click. Then try exporting again.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Mar 26, 2018 at 11:00:41 am

Unfortunately trashing preferences didn't not solve the issue. Anything else?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 26, 2018 at 10:06:28 am

[Johnny Smith] "That frame was edited out, it's not in FCP's timeline but it's showing up on H264"

i wonder if your footage is interlaced.

FCP's canvas won't show the fields,
but it could appear "combed" with the frame you thought was your in-point once you get to quicktime.
it's happened to me.

go back into FCP, find those cut points,
set your canvas to 100%.
that will show you fields as combed images.

nick

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Mar 26, 2018 at 11:24:50 am

Nick, yes you're right it's interlaced. The problem shows up in Canvas if it's set to 100%.
What are my options now to fix this issue? Is my only option to cut out those few frames?

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Mar 26, 2018 at 11:25:44 am

You are a genius by the way, thought I'd casually mention that.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Mar 26, 2018 at 5:22:34 pm

INTERLACED!! Nick is the real genius here.

Deinterlace the footage. Not sure what built in plugins FCP has for that, but Nattress had a good one called SMART DEINTERLACER. There were many many plugins that did this, but unless you got them when FCP 7 was active, you can't get them.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Mar 26, 2018 at 8:13:46 pm

Are you saying Compressor can't do it? What I don't understand is this: I've edited that interlaced footage before and it looked great on Vimeo. Now when I cut it with other not interlaced footage there's the combing effect at cut point. Is it supposed to be like that? My only solution is to deinterlace that footage before I cut it with prores files that came from 35mm footage and ProRes that came from Red Dragon? This interlaced footage is really old these ProRes files came from 5Dmk2.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Mar 26, 2018 at 10:34:07 pm

[Johnny Smith] "I've edited that interlaced footage before and it looked great on Vimeo"

you were probably combining it with progressive footage, and the time line had been set to progressive, or Field Dominance = None in your sequence settings,

you could do that yourself, it's a quick and dirty approach to de-interlacing.
does it blend the fields? i can't remember.

you could de-interlace in compressor, yes.
i think that would be better than fields = none in FCP, which is sort of the least sophisticated approach.
doing it in compressor means you can't really preview it though, so i don't tend to do that.

Natress Smart De-Interlaceis the best within-FCP de-interlace, but it costs so maybe not worth it for your one-off.
FCP does have a de-interlace, so give that a go.
also try the de-flicker filet set to max. that actually BLENDS the fields, which gives you maximum resolution, BUT keeps both fields, so you'd have to trim the offending frame.
at least you'd be able to see it directly in FCP

[Johnny Smith] "I've edited that interlaced footage before and it looked great on Vimeo"

well if you think it looked great, then you could probably just set field order to none, and be done with it
but test it first, see if it looks ok.
maybe your footage is1920x1080 and on Vimeo it was 1280x720, so the drop in resolution was less noticeable?

your other solution of course is to trim that frame.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Johnny Smith
on Mar 27, 2018 at 5:20:45 am

That worked! Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]