FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut 7 killed by high Sierra...how I solved the problem

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wendy Peter
Final Cut 7 killed by high Sierra...how I solved the problem
on Mar 16, 2018 at 8:40:18 pm

This is a follow up to a question I posted about a month ago, as to what my options were with the death of Final Cut 7 after I upgraded to high Sierra without thinking it through. I am sharing this just for the sake of anyone who is in a similar situation as the option I chose.
I ended up talking to the head tech guy in final cut over at apple and we looked at various solutions. In the end, I chose to dedicate my older MacBook Pro to final cut 7, and move my personal items into a new MacBook. I understand that this may not be an option for everyone, I'm just sharing this for information.

-My computer was a 2014 model. Apple initially told me that I would need to purchase mountain lion and reinstall it. This information turned out to be incorrect. 2014 computers had Maverick as the software. It turned out that they were able to grab Maverick and download for free from online by walking me through some steps in recovery mode. I won't outline the steps, as there was no charge or fee for the walkthrough or the software and there were a couple of hiccups during the install where the programer had to reach out to his upper level advisors while he guided me though. So my suggestion if you are going to follow a similar path is to let the apple guys trouble shoot for you, and let them give you the software at no charge. Your Mac no longer needs to be under warranty to get a support call, you simply choose "ask for exception" as your reason and choose "new software" as the path when you ask for support. Although apple stopped providing support for final cut with mountain lion, the software has installed and is running without problems in Maverick.
Hope this helps for anyone who is looking for answers.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Final Cut 7 killed by high Sierra...how I solved the problem
on Mar 17, 2018 at 2:25:54 am

Wow, you REALLY wanted to stick with FCP 7!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Christopher Smith
on Apr 13, 2018 at 4:30:38 pm

FCP 7 means DVD Studio Pro, and DVD Studio Pro is the last remaining DVD authoring software available (as it has been the only player in the field for many years now). If High Sierra kills DVDSP, it kills DVD production. So, yes, when you make your living authoring DVDs, you must keep FCP 7 alive and kicking!

Christopher Smith

CBN International

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Mar 17, 2018 at 5:30:16 pm

Thanks for sharing. This could be useful to other people down the line.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 19, 2018 at 2:54:52 pm

But did you get back Motion and DVDSP?

Losing DVDSP was a huge deal to me.

Return to posts index

Wendy Peter
on Mar 19, 2018 at 8:53:25 pm

Yes I was able to reinstall the entire Final Cut studio package including Motion and DVDSP and its working great.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 23, 2018 at 4:57:52 pm

One of the things that totally blew me away when I bought my first used Mac was that, unlike a Windows PC, you can install a new blank hard drive as the only drive and the Mac will still boot! It boots into a recovery mode and downloads the version of OS X from Apple that was licensed originally to the hardware and you are up and running without needing any other media. It's a simply brilliant concept that was so foreign to me as a former Windows user where everything is a major ordeal.

The Apple end user experience never ceases to amaze me.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Ken Kozak
on Jul 23, 2018 at 11:23:38 pm

Very late, but I'll still add my 2cents.

I mainly edit on FCPX , however I'm still using FCP7 for a TV production company in NYC ( a number of major tv shows still use it, familiarity I think).

FCP7 still works on Sierra, but not on High Sierra. Been postponing upgrading my 2014 macbook pro to high sierra because of FCP7 usage.

My future solution is to partition the hard drive and just have mavericks or newer on the second partition, and just have FCP7 and maybe DVDSP running on it until these production companies switch over. They have a distaste for FCPX, so they'll probably move to Premiere.

Ken Kozak
Principal at Kendo Media/Trios Films
http://kendo.media/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]