FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installing old software to run Final Cut 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wendy Peter
Installing old software to run Final Cut 7
on Feb 21, 2018 at 7:14:47 pm

The latest update on my mac destroyed final cut as I am sure everyone is aware.
I have bought a new MacBook for personal use and am now looking at trying to install old software onto my MacBook Pro retina to run final cut. I had heard someone say that you can partition your hard drive and install 10.7 (Lion) onto it . Is this true? I ran a search on ebay to try and buy an old disc with Lion, but mostly "bootable downloads" came up.
Can anyone comment on whether this would work, or do I need to install 10.7 on the whole computer.
Is there any issue with installing old software over new.. as in steps I have to take, or reasons why it is not possible?

It's either do it this way, or give up film editing as I am so busy that I do not have time for the learning curve of the latest final cut software.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

W Peter

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Installing old software to run Final Cut 7
on Feb 21, 2018 at 10:32:45 pm

First off, if the mac laptop you bought was brand new, you can't install an OS previous to the one it ships with. Previous OS versions will not have the drivers for the current hardware in the computers, so they won't allow the install. If you need to run FCP 7, then you need to buy an older computer that will allow an older OS to run on it. This is one reason I'm still holding onto my 2008 MacPro.

Second, the last OS that had an installer disk was Snow Leopard. Every OS version after that was released digitally only, so you had to have downloaded it...because Apple gets rid of previous OS installers a couple months after they release the latest, and never have anything older than the one previous OS version.

So your solution is to buy an older, used mac to run this...or switch to something like Adobe...which is VERY similar to how FCP 7 worked. Or to get Resolve, which is free...although it is new to the editing world and things are pretty different in it. Adobe is your best, closest bet.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Wendy Peter
on Feb 21, 2018 at 11:23:53 pm

Hi @Shane thanks for the info. How old is considered old enough to host lion?
My computer is a 2014. It was a replacement for a 2011 that came with lion on it.
The Mac store still sells the lion software as a download. I called them today to ask them if they thought it could be mounted onto a computer running Siera and they said yes. That doesn’t make it true as I was basically dealing with someone who probably doesn’t know but it does allow me to get my money ba k if it’s a fail.

Anyway if you have any thought on an acceptable age for the computer to run lion and would love to hear them.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 21, 2018 at 11:54:33 pm

[Wendy Peter] "I called them today to ask them if they thought it could be mounted onto a computer running Siera and they said yes."

Yes...as long as that computer was released when the Mac OS Lion software was released. If the computer was made in 2104, it won't allow that to be installed. You'll need a computer made in 2010 or earlier....as that OS came out Oct, 2010.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Feb 22, 2018 at 4:49:20 am

I'm running Lion OS 10.8.5 on a 2013 MB Pro and keeping this machine to run FCP7 and also Premiere 2013 and 2014.
You may run into issues with Premiere as an alternative since they change their software about every year and require newer OS versions on the Mac as they go along. I'm thinking of buying CS6 from ebay for my 2013 machine to get off the infinite rental program.
Will consider FCPX and Resolve for newer machines.
Cheers,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 22, 2018 at 7:30:54 am

FWIW, I've been running FCP7 on Yosemite machines for the last couple of years at least, and it runs fine for the most part.

the only issue i've had is that the colour picker doesn't work the way it used to,
and matching colours in the colour corrector plug-ins needs to be done manually now.
lucky i don't do a lot of colour grading in FCP !

a 2014 machine could run Yosemite.

nick

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Feb 23, 2018 at 4:38:45 pm

I've been running vs 6.0.6 with El Capitan. It's only High Sierra that will prohibit the use of FCP, am I right. Mind you, like what Nick said, there are a few glitches. Colour dropper for colour matching/correcting doesn't work. And I get crashes if I hit the undo command too many times in a row. Anytime I have to undo something, I always save first!

If you're computer is 2014, just revert to the OS at the time and don't upgrade to High Sierra. You might need Snow Leopard to begin the installation though.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Wendy Peter
on Feb 23, 2018 at 5:12:42 pm

Thanks for the info. I ended up on the phone with Apples supervisor of the final cut software area. He told me he has been there since final cut 7 came out so was able to help a lot. It is exactly as you have said, I will be able to install whichever system was on my 2014 computer which appears to be lion or mountain lion.
I will loose iCloud features but since I have a separate Mac book that should not be a big issue. Of interest I was told by Apple that their tec will walk me though the instal over the phone.
Hoping it works!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 25, 2018 at 12:31:14 am

[Wendy Peter] "It is exactly as you have said, I will be able to install whichever system was on my 2014 computer which appears to be lion or mountain lion."
Actually, OS X 10.9 Mavericks is probably what came with the 2014 MacBook Pro's. Mavericks came out on October 22, 2013 so it makes sense that all 2014 Mac's would have it.

If the Mac that you have has nothing on it that you want to keep, you can get back to Mavericks very easy. Just hold down Command ⌘+R when you boot the computer and it will boot into the recovery partition. From there you can reformat the disk and install the original OS that the Mac came with. Perhaps that's what Apple is going to walk you through.

If you want to preserve the existing data on the drive, just use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner, to copy the contents of the drive to an external drive of equal or greater size. CCC will create bootable backups so you could even boot using the external hard drive to get back to the current OS. You can then copy back any data that you need after installing Mavericks.

Finally, if you wanted to be able to dual boot into either OS, you could repartition your existing drive and install Mavericks on the new partition using Recovery Mode (Command ⌘+R). Then to use the new OS, just hold down the Option ⌥ key when you boot and it will show you a selection of partitions to boot from. So there are several options to consider.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]