FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6 - No Animated Titles

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Lawler
FCP 6 - No Animated Titles
on Feb 13, 2018 at 10:13:14 pm

Hi all, I have been looking around this site with the hope of finding a solution to a problem I'm having with Final Cut Pro 6.

I'm really hoping someone can help as I don't know what else to try.

The problem is this, anything from the 3D folder for animated titles will load into the timeline and viewer, I can edit what I want the title to show, but when I play in the viewer, all I get is a black screen. Transitions seem to work okay, it's just the titles. If I export the title into Motion, it views okay.

I have gone through and tried some different Easy Setups, but to no avail.

I'm very new to FCP, so I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP 6 - No Animated Titles
on Feb 15, 2018 at 3:37:24 pm

Are you running on a legacy machine, i.e. the age of the OS matches the age of the application?

FCP6 is REALLY long in the tooth. The newer the OS, the more things break in old applications.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

James Lawler
on Feb 15, 2018 at 4:48:05 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply.

I've got it installed on a Mac Pro Quad Zeon with OSX Leopard.

I originally bought a G5 PowerPC on eBay a couple of years ago which had Leopard and FCP 5 (upgraded to 6). As I didn't have the discs and wanted to recresh the machine, I bought FC Studio 2. I then bought the Mac Pro.

I have reinstalled it on the G5 (for a test), and it has the same problem. Everything else on the software seems to work okay.

I have tried turning external video off and also tried different video settings, all to no avail.

Can I ask what settings I should be using on the easy setup? Would that even make a difference?

I know it's knocking on a bit age-wise, but I didn't want to spend loads of money at the moment as I want to learn how to use the software. I really am new to video editing. I've one a bit of MS movie maker in the past.

I get the feeling it's something simple, but I nust can't think of anything else to try ☹ By the way, I have tried resetting the preferences.

Thanks for your help.
Jim :)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 15, 2018 at 5:35:53 pm

Now mind you, it has been YEARS since I cut in FCP 6.
But as I recall, any kind of 3D text animation had to be done and rendered out in Motion. Then it gets imported as an alpha channeled file.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 18, 2018 at 9:04:27 pm

[James Lawler] "I know it's knocking on a bit age-wise, but I didn't want to spend loads of money at the moment as I want to learn how to use the software. I really am new to video editing. I've one a bit of MS movie maker in the past."
A bit? Do you realize that FCP 7 was *discontinued* 7 year ago and FCP 6 is even older and neither run on the latest macOS? Why would you want to bother to learn software that was discontinued so long ago?

If you have used Windows Movie Maker, I would recommend that you start with Apple iMovie and then eventually get Final Cut Pro X when you feel you need more capability and have the money. It just makes no sense to learn discontinued software. It will only bring you grief and teach you an antiquated way of editing.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Feb 23, 2018 at 4:41:46 pm

Agree with John. I personally can't wait to finish the project I'm on (using 6.0.6) so I can upgrade to FCP X and start fresh.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]