FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 3x crash service down - Any solutions yet?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McDonell
Compressor 3x crash service down - Any solutions yet?
on Nov 24, 2017 at 11:03:46 pm

I've been dealing with this problem for years now. Sometimes Compressor works, sometimes it doesn't. Right now, it's not working and I've spent hours trying to find the fix.

FCP 6.0.6 with a ProRes timeline. Compressor 4.3.2. I export a Final Cut Pro QT reference file. Import into Compressor since roundtripping has long disappeared. Apply my output settings and hope for the best. When I encountered the error message in the past, I learned that it could be due to a number of random factors:

- the timeline beginning with a Chapter marker. So get rid of 'Picture Start'
- the timeline ending with an empty frame; so I always back up by 1 frame
- timeline not rendered before exporting
- photo files in the timeline that are too big

What am I missing? A month ago using the same file, everything worked fine. After a lot of problem solving that is. Now it's not working. Argh! I'm going to try using a self-contained QT file but the file's going to be 20GB+.

My specs: FCP 6.0.6, El Capitan, rMBP 15" i7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
Re: Compressor 3x crash service down - Any solutions yet?
on Nov 25, 2017 at 7:39:39 am

The piece is 122 minutes. I tried transcoding the first hour and it works. I tried transcoding the second hour and it works. I tried 105 minutes and it failed. What is the culprit?

I know I can export a self-contained QT and it will probably work. But the file size will be over 100 GB and this used to work all the time. What gives?

Return to posts index

Philip Howe
on Nov 25, 2017 at 10:25:37 am

Christopher. Have you not been able to update to version 7.0.3 - my memory tells me that in that huge upgrade there were fixes for many of these fiddly problems that showed up, after Apple terminated development and OS’s. began to lose contact with detail FCP.
ALSO, have you appreciated the potential of working on a machine with an earlier OS?
I keep a MacPro running Snow Leopard for this sole reason - that it was best for FCS 3. My others run Yosemite and FCP is pretty good on that.
Have a think. A 2012 MacPro would cost little and have potential to run SL or ML.
Just a thought. I wish you luck.

philip

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 25, 2017 at 5:41:31 pm

Hi Philip, well believe me this is my last project with FCP. It's a doc that spans 8 years in the life of child labourer in India and so I've been cutting with FCP since the beginning. When X came out, I looked into upgrading to 7 but it was so bloody expensive and had just been declared EOL. Point is, what I'm trying to do now I just did a couple months ago. And I can do for most of the project, just not all of it. So trying to find a workaround still..

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 25, 2017 at 7:58:38 pm

Alright, so after a gazillion tests, I set an end point 5 frames back and voila, it works! I had earlier tried 1 frame back and it failed. Very bizarre but I've successfully transcoded twice now using this method.

Return to posts index

Philip Howe
on Nov 26, 2017 at 3:23:23 am

Christopher have you considered the state of your material? Vdeo can become damaged over time. When was the last time that you relinked all media? There might be damage or corruption at work.
I have a huge project shot over ten years that I have to finish and I fear tht it will require recapturing because of the time that much of it has sat on drives. There is an app, or was, that would check for damage.
Relink all media first and then get Disk Warrior to check your files.
Best wishes

philip

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 27, 2017 at 4:56:26 am

Personally I always preferred to export a self contained, not a reference. 100 gig is trivial in an age where hard drives are so cheap. It also means if there is a crash in the render you have a much better idea of finding the culprit.

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Nov 27, 2017 at 4:19:27 pm

It’s an extra generation though. Much cleaner to just transcode straight from the source, no? Especially with lots of subtitles.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 27, 2017 at 11:47:26 pm

Try it and see if you can see any difference. The importance of having a self contained is that it is there as a master long after the hard drive with original media has gone back to the client and they ask for a version for the web etc. Or you update your computer and forget to install that font or can't get that particular plugin.

It doesn't exist for me until its rendered self contained.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]