FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I back up a project and its media in FCP 6??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Slavuta
How do I back up a project and its media in FCP 6??
on Oct 21, 2017 at 1:59:13 am

Hi there!
I'd be really grateful if any of you could instruct me on how to back up a project in Final Cut Pro 6 (yep, that vintage) on my old Mac to an external drive.

I used to edit many years ago and not ever since. I got so rusty that I no longer have a clue how to find anything in FCP, where to find things and how to move them around. As in, I don't even know where to start. So if anyone knows/remembers how to back up a project in FCP 6 to an external drive and can walk me through the steps, I'd really appreciate it!

I basically would like to save a copy of the project with all its sequences (+ effects, commands, etc -- whatever is in there) and all the media associated with it (whatever remains of it on this old Mac Tower of mine). If you can help and keep the directions plain and basic, that'd be great!
Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: How do I back up a project and its media in FCP 6??
on Oct 21, 2017 at 3:26:06 am
Last Edited By Nick Meyers on Oct 21, 2017 at 5:49:14 am

hi Kent

there are two approaches.

1. locate the relevant media and copy it to the back up drive manually, along with the project files.
open the copy of the project file and reconnect to the media in it's new location.

PRO: you keep any file organisation you have in place, (Music folders, FX folders, etc. etc. all maintained
CON: you have to know where those folders are !
but FCP can show you if you use the SOURCE Column in the browser

2. use FCP's Media Manager

PRO: do it in one go from within FCP
CON: all your media will be jumbled together in one place after the move.
it won't bring across any media that may be related, but isn't in the project.

to do it via the media manger
open the project,
select all
File Menu > Media Manager

use COPY
DONT delete unused
DO create a new project

you might as well chose to include render files,
although typically is wasn't particularly successful.
it night not work, but it won't hurt to try.

nick

Return to posts index

Kent Slavuta
on Oct 22, 2017 at 8:25:47 am

Hi, Nick.
Thx for your response! I'll certainly try this Media Manager route as soon as I get back to my Mac. Oddly, I don't remember such a function in FCP. But that may just be part of my hopeless amnesia from staying away from it all for this long.

I came across this one video about saving/backing up a project in FCP X, and it was instructing to create a new Library and then drag and drop the project you want saved from its place in the regular FCP Library to this "New Library." But somehow this library business didn't ring a bell at all, and the general layout on the screen didn't match what I have in FCP 6. So I wasn't sure how to locate my project in the Library. Is this something that came in later and is just not applicable to FCP 6. Or is this moving things from library to library another method that would work in FCP 6?

Also, I was curious to get your 2 cents on this:
If I back up the entire contents of my internal Mac hard drive to an external drive, so I basically have a faithful/accurate copy of it, if I later plop the contents of this backup into another Apple computer with FCP on it, do you figure all the old FCP projects of mine would translate and open and be accessible?? Or would it just be a jumble?

Thanks a lot in advance!
K

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 22, 2017 at 8:59:05 am

hi Kent,

[Kent Slavuta] "I came across this one video about saving/backing up a project in FCP X"

forget about that for now. FCP X is a different app altogether, with very different workflows.
what you read has no bearing on what you want to do in FCP "classic"

[Kent Slavuta] "If I back up the entire contents of my internal Mac hard drive to an external drive ... [will] all the old FCP projects ... open and be accessible??"

pretty much yes.
is this an internal Media drive, separate to the System drive?
if so then yes, indeed.
the trick is to give your new hard drive the exact same name as the original.
this will save you hang to do a lot of re-connecting, as FCP will just see it as the same drive.

if it's just the system drive, then even that should work, but you'll have a lot of stuff on there you don't really need ☺

although if you make a proper clone, (using Super-Duper, or Carbon Copy Cloner) then you'd be well protected if you ever update your Mac Pro to a more modern OS.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Kent Slavuta
on Oct 22, 2017 at 8:33:52 pm

Thanks again, Nick!
Good to know to disregard the Library-related route. I'm sure I'll hit you up with more questions once I start on actually attempting to back up that project. : )

As for backing up the whole of my old Mac, I actually need to do it anyways, as I intend to dispose of it presto pronto and might as well see if someone wants to buy it. So I'd actually like to back up the whole thing as accurately and effectively as I can. And when I say "internal Mac drive," I basically mean all of everything that's on the Mac -- System, Apps and Media. An exact actionable copy would be great to keep for any future eventualities.

If I understand correctly, I have two options there:
(1) To just plain copy all of the contents of all of the partitions of my internal drive to my external backup drive (i.e. drag n'drop), or
(2) To actually clone it, as what you're talking about with that third-party software (except, I thought that there was a way to do so with just Mac's own native software; I would think Disk Utility would have a way), and that would make an actual bootable replica of my internal Mac drive. And of course, this 2nd option does seem a wiser choice.

Is this about right? Pardon my asking such general and, no doubt, obvious things. I'm a bit of a tech dunce when it comes to Macs. If this line of questioning gets excessively tedious for you, I can't blame ya. At anhy rate, thanks for your advice/support thus far!

K

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 23, 2017 at 1:05:29 am

[Kent Slavuta] "If I understand correctly, I have two options there:
(1) copy all of the contents
(2) clone it ... that would make a bootable replica of my internal Mac drive
Is this about right? "

yep ☺

[Kent Slavuta] "As for backing up the whole of my old Mac, I actually need to do it anyways, as I intend to dispose of it presto pronto and might as well see if someone wants to buy it."

so how will you open your FCP6 projects?

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]