FORUMS: list search recent posts

Turning 30fps audio into 29.97 audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan McGuire
Turning 30fps audio into 29.97 audio
on Oct 10, 2017 at 12:45:05 am

I have a timeline that is 29.97 fps and I just got back a .WAV file of a mix that I believe was created with a framerate of 30fps. (it might be that I outputted the AMF files at a 30 frame rate.) That might explain why, over the course of a 1:25 minute timeline I have a sound file mix that is about 5 seconds too long. I understand that I need to lose approximately 1 frame every 1001 frames to get it the right length and in sync. Is there a way to do this easily? Can I change the speed of the audio by a certain amount?
Or should me sound guy be able to do this with his software? I'm embarrassed to ask him. Don't ask how I got in this mess.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Turning 30fps audio into 29.97 audio
on Oct 10, 2017 at 12:51:19 am

Quick and dirty way is to speed up the audio to 100.1% in the timeline. Alternative is to download Wave Agent from Sound Devices and restamp the embedded timecode as 29.97

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 10, 2017 at 2:54:40 am

this could also be an instance of the FCP audio frame rate thing...

before you do anything else check your FCP Audio/Video settings
make sure the checked sequence preset is 29.97

imported audio can take on the frame rate of the checked setting, and cause sync drifts.

so if your presets is set t0 30fps, chose a 29.97 one and re-import the audio.

nick

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Oct 10, 2017 at 8:05:23 am

Nick is right, but forgot something.
If the preset is not the right one, make it right and RESTART fcp prior to re-import.

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on Oct 10, 2017 at 1:13:33 pm

Thanks for these tips. I tried re-importing after restarting - still 5 seconds long. I guess I will have to adjust all these audio files. Not sure where the screw-up happened.

Thanks DAN

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on Oct 10, 2017 at 2:06:01 pm

Wave Agent did the job, though.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 10, 2017 at 11:28:13 pm

" Wave Agent did the job, though."

I suspected as Nick & Bouke did that it is the default preset being wrong but the added complication is regardless of a restart the file has the wrong timecode stamped into it and you also have to rename, preferably on another computer and re-import. All the other things matter if you want to avoid the problem in the future.

This so called Apple feature has been the bane of my existence for over 8 years now so I now opt for the simpler way of just fixing the incorrect timecode stamp. If you search my posts here, this single issue is almost the most common thing I have tried to help people with.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Oct 11, 2017 at 8:22:48 am

It's not an incorrect timecode stamp, it's incorrect settings in FCP.
(And not the sequence settings, but some other setting somewhere, I forgot.)

BWF contains a timestamp that can be calculated to TC based on the FPS wanted.
And it can (but not must) have an intended playback rate. (That makes no sense whatsoever to use to change the speed though, it is just an indication what TC framerate was used when the clip was recorded.)

(And thus makes this another example that Apple has no clue what they are doing, they just put some stuff together and expect others to make sense of it. Have a look at the plugins, a lot of them are just templates on how to write plugins, and are not really usable at all....)

Bouke
http://www.videotoolshed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]