FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor - can it ID format of example video clip and create a conversion setting?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan McGuire
Compressor - can it ID format of example video clip and create a conversion setting?
on Sep 27, 2017 at 2:59:41 pm

Folks, The majority of my footage was transferred from SD tape to HDprores files using a teranex. But I have a few additional clips which are 24p files that need to be transferred using compressor.

I want to make them the identical format as the teranex files but don't know if they are interlaced, and if they are top field first, and several other variables "gamma correction?"

Is there a way to create a compressor prores setting that is exactly like my teranex files? All these variables identical? Can you drop the file some way into compressor and create a setting that can be used?

THANKS

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Compressor - can it ID format of example video clip and create a conversion setting?
on Sep 27, 2017 at 6:06:17 pm

[Dan McGuire] "Is there a way to create a compressor prores setting that is exactly like my teranex files?"

Only if you know what settings were used. Compressor cannot just look at a file and create a preset to match...sorry. What is the frame rate of the new files? That you can see in FCP. What is the frame size and frame rate. Interlacing, well, that you also see in FCP, or if you see lines when you play the clip in QT.

[Dan McGuire] "All these variables identical?"

No. Because if thy converted it to HD 23.98 it's different than HD 29.97. And was it converted to interlaced or progressive 29.97? I'd guess interlaced, as SD is interlaced, but I wouldn't rely on my guess. ASK the people who did the conversion what they converted to. Also...is it full frame 1920x1080? So the image is squeezed? Or is it pillarboxed 1920x1080 (Black bars on the side)? or did they convert to 1440x1080? Many options.

[Dan McGuire] "Can you drop the file some way into compressor and create a setting that can be used?"

Alas, no

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Compressor - can it ID format of example video clip and create a conversion setting?
on Sep 28, 2017 at 4:14:07 am

Shane:

"Interlacing, well, that you also see in FCP,"

if you set your canvas or viewer to 100% then you can see the interlacing lines.
a quick way to do that is to select the canvas or viewer, and then hold down the H key for a second or so.

you can't step though the fields, though, like you can in some other apps,
so you don't know if you have interlacing errors (fields in wrong order) unless you output to a broadcast monitor.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]